Used-Book Fair Begins Today in Boylston Hall

By Todd F. Braunstein

The Undergraduate Council is sponsoring a used-book fair today and tomorrow in Boylston Hall.

Students can purchase books for 28 large classes, including Statistics 100: "Introduction to Quantitative Methods," Chemistry 10: "Accelerated Course: Foundations of Chemistry," and Computer Science 50: "Introduction to Computer Science I."

Council members had purchased the $5,000 worth of books at 50 percent of their original price when students completed their courses for the fall, 1994 semester.

But unlike the Coop, which also buys books from students at that rate, the council will not mark up the price of the books at today's fair.

The net result will be a savings of $2,500 for students, said council executive and book fair organizer Jonathan P. Feeney '97. And if the books sell out, the only costs to the council are those from advertising, Feeney said.

If this year's first-ever council-sponsored fair is successful, the council is hoping to make it an annual event.

The structure of the council's finances would probably support $10,000 in book purchases and resales, council members said.

Other courses whose books will be available include Foreign Cultures 66: "Tiananmen Square," Science B-15: "Evolutionary Biology" and Economics 1010s: "Microeconomic Theory," according to Feeney.

The fair will run from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Ticknor Lounge in Boylston Hall.