TV Stolen From Greenough Room

By Douglas M. Pravda

A group of around 20 first-years from Greenough, Hurlbut and Pennypacker Halls gathered in the Greenough Common Room last Thursday night to watch last season's finale of the hit TV show, "Friends," according to Elizabeth A. Buzney '99.

Before departing for the night, they made plans to meet again tonight to watch the season premiere, she said.

But their plans were interrupted by an unexpected event: The combination TV and VCR, described as fairly new by residents, was stolen on Sunday night.

The TV and VCR were last seen around 6 p.m. on Sunday night.

"I was playing ping-pong in the common room around 5:30 p.m.," said Jordan A. Cooper '99, "and the TV was still there."

Others, such as Nat J. Pastor '99 and Jean B. Branstetter '99, said they were watching part of the football game between the New England Patriots and the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday afternoon.

Both said the TV was still there when they left.

But when Greenough dorm committees, such as the peer counseling, intramural and kitchen committees, met in the common room at 8 p.m., the TV and VCR were missing.

"I was the first one there [for the meetings]," said Weston T. Eguchi '99, "but I didn't notice it was gone."

He said that they realized the TV was gone after others came into the room and noticed it was missing.

Some of the first-years then notified proctor Jon Kissane-Gaisford about the disappearance.

"Some people came forward to me moments before that meeting to let me know it was missing," Kissane-Gaisford said. "Immediately we just looked around the common room and checked out some other rooms [in the] immediate area."

Gabby Schmujak '99, who was in the laundry room across from the common room at 8 p.m., said Kissane-Gaisford came running into the laundry room looking for the TV.

Kissane-Gaisford said he commenced the dorm committee meetings as planned while his wife called the police and filed a report.

Students who pieced together the details gave an account yesterday of what they thought happened.

"[The person] took the bolt out of the wall, put the TV in a box and carried it out," said Buzney, noting that the bolt had been pulled out of the wall and the box the TV came in was gone.

The common room is in the basement of Greenough. Card keys are required to get into the dorm, and again to gain access to the hallways, but a second card swipe is not required to get into the basement.

The TV in the common room can actually be seen from Prescott St. when the shades are up.

"I was really surprised...[and] pissed off," said Phillip A. Goff '99, who said he often played his videotapes in the common room. "We were talking about getting cable, but now it's pretty much out of the question."

"The common room is kind of bare without something to do down there," said Kit C. Cavender '99.

But David Fithian, assistant dean of freshmen, said the Freshman Dean's Office (FDO) plans to replace the TV and VCR, "but only after we have exhausted all attempts to recover what was there."

"Students have informed me of the consequences of missing 'ER,' and I'm fast at work on accommodations for them," Fithian said.

Fithian said the Harvard police is actively looking into the case, but declined to comment if they have any leads.

Harvard University Police Department Lt. John F. Rooney did not return calls from The Crimson yesterday.

Fithian said the FDO plans to better secure all new and existing equipment in the common rooms of first-year dorms.

And he sent a letter to all Greenough residents on Monday reminding them of basic security precautions such as locking the room doors, not letting strangers into the building without Harvard ID and reporting unusual activity to the proctors or the police.

"It upsets me that someone would do that," Stacia L. Reidy '99 said. She said she was taking more precautions as a result of the theft.

Cooper also said he was taking more precautions. "I don't let people into the building," he said.

"To know that the dorm isn't safe is the worst part of it," Branstetter said