WINTHROP'S NEW AND NEWER DRINKING AGE

A summary of views, commentary and sometimes comedy.

By Steven A. Engel

We have good news and bad news for those underage Winthrop House residents who are fond of drink.

First the good news: in laying out the House regulations to his "Sisters and Brothers of the Winthrop Nation," Senior Tutor Gregory Mobley struck a blow against age discrimination, setting the House drinking age to a modest 18.

Mobley's move seemed to be quite popular. A Crimson/Gallup poll saw his approval ratings in the house soar, although 25% of house residents remained unable to pick their Senior Tutor out of a police lineup. Still, they know the good thing he has done.

In a related development, the College Housing Office reports that it has temporarily run out of Inter-House Transfer forms, but promises more will be made available to accommodate the demand. These forms will come with "Winthrop House" pre-selected to save students ink.

But then comes the bad news: before you add your name to the growing list of wannabe Winthropites, it seems that Mr. Mobley made just a tiny three-year mistake. We have just received a letter from him, clarifying the policies set forth in his first ground-breaking policy statement.

While those under 18 years of age will still be unable to attend Winthrop parties in the near future, Mobley has added their elder counterparts who are under 21 to the list of the dry, in a surprising about-face.

Good thing you still have the Grille.