Tarrant Named GSAS Acting Dean

BRIEFS

By Jeffrey N. Gell

Pope Professor of Latin Language and Literature Richard J. Tarrant has been appointed acting dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) for the current academic year while GSAS Dean Christoph J. Wolff is on sabbatical.

"I see my role as acting dean this year mainly as working toward several goals, among them helping departments to attract the best graduate students, continuing to bring down the average length of time it takes to get the Ph.D., and improving the training and mentoring graduate students receive as papers," Tarrant said in an e-mail message. "These are long-term initiatives where progress has already been made by Dean Wolff, and I hope to keep up the momentum."

Tarrant, who ordinarily teaches a popular Core course, Literature and Arts C-61: "The Rome of Augustus," said he will work to balance his teaching and administrative duties.

"I'm still teaching undergraduates and graduates, but on a somewhat reduced schedule," he said. "In the fall term of 1996-97 I'll have a term of leave and then return to regular teaching--including "Rome of Augustus"--in the spring term."

Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Jeremy R. Knowles said Tarrant will work to improve the environment in which graduate students study.

"Professor Tarrant is a most thoughtful and committed member of the Faculty who is already looking at a number of improvements in our recruiting and support arrangements for graduate students," Knowles said.

Knowles said Wolff will return for a second three-year term as GSAS dean beginning next summer.