No. 15 Terriers Shut Down Feisty Field Hockey, 1-0

By Eric F. Brown and Jason Mclaughlin

The Harvard field hockey team came close to knocking off a top 20 opponent yesterday at Cumnock Field, falling short .

Harvard (2-4, 0-0 Ivy) played events with No Boston University throughout the entire first half but the Terriers controlled practically the entire second half and won on a Nathan Chin goal with 21 left.

Nevertheless, the loss was one of Harvard's better games on the year. The Crimson showed great poise against the touted Terner attack him a to 12 shots on goal.

"I think that we all stepped it up." Junior Daphne Clark said "The whole team played well."

Harvard's best scoring opportunity came two minutes into the second half. On a Harvard corner, B.U. goal tender Monica Dorley stopped Clark's shot and then immediately turned away two more Crimson tries.

That flurry, however, was all the offense the Crimson could muster until the closing minutes of the game. B.U.'s right midfielders and attackers ball control forced Harvard into a defensive mode.

The defense almost held. But mid-way through the second half, Terrier Vera Schoenfield outraced the Crimson backs to a ball in the right corner. Schoenfield then knocked a crossing pass in the front of the goal, which Chin deposited in the net.

However, that was the only black mark on the Crimson's defense, which was especially promising considering the fact that the Harvard had shuffled around its lineup.

Harvard coach Sue Caples moved Clark to the sweeper position only two days before the game, a move that shored up a defense, that had been allowing upwards of 15 shots on goal a game.

"We just needed to settle things a bit," Caples said. "[Clark] has good field presence and communication."

The switch also improved the Crimson attack. Going to Clark's former spot, center midfield, was freshman Tara La Sovage, who brought some needed speed to that position.

This was most evident in the first half, when the Harvard offense kept the ball in the B.U. end for long stretches.

Some of these stretches almost led to goals. Harvard had three corners in a row with about 26 minutes left in the half, with Clark and co-captain Carrie Shumway almost putting the ball in.

Both offenses, however, were hampered by the dreary conditions. The muddy field became shredded as the game progressed, making it difficult to execute attacks.

"On the last [corner] the ball sunk in a hole," Clark said.

The Terriers, who play their home games on astroturf, at times had great difficulties with the adverse conditions. Their corner attacks were ineffective at best, and many of their routine passes became adventures.

But even the conditions couldn't stop the No. 15 team in the nation.

If there was such a thing as a good loss, this was it. Harvard's Ivy League season begins Saturday at Cornell, and the Crimson's play has been steadily improving over the last week.

"We played well today," Caples said. "B.U.'s a Top 20 team, and we know what to expectance we [play] Top 20 teams." Boston U.  1 Harvard  0