BGLSA Elects New Officers

Co-Chairs Cross, Razavilar Aim for Gay-Straight Alliance

By Valerie J. Macmillan

Nadia P. Cross '98 and Pejman Razavilar '98 were elected co-chairs of the Bi-Sexual, Gay and Lesbian Students' Association (BGLSA) in a meeting last night in the Adams House Lower Common Room.

"A 'gay-straight alliance' will be our big project this year," Cross said. Both she and Razavilar said their goal for the year was to make the BGLSA more hospitable to people who have not traditionally felt comfortable there.

"It sounds corny, but I believe in a human bond rather than just a gay bond," Razavilar said. "I want [the BGLSA] to be an organization that is open to everyone. I want to establish a forum for anyone who wants to learn and discuss."

Joshua Oppenheimer '96-'97, who organized the recent protest in Government 1091, was elected political coordinator.

Oppenheimer said his goals are to "revitalize the BGLSA as a political force on campus, to use the BGLSA as a platform for the struggle against homophobia and for lesbian, gay and transgender liberation and to foster diversity within the lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual community."

Canaday resident Jonathan M. Harlow '99 was elected educational coordinator.

"I have a very strong commitment to this group and gay rights in general," he said.

The treasurer for this coming year is Lauren E. Hale '98, and the publicity coordinators are Jane Aceituno '98 and Thomas T. Roddy '98.

E. Abim Thomas '96 and Natasha E. Litt '96 were elected social coordinators.

Litt, who is a Crimson editor, joked that she didn't have "the best social chair credentials" because she is writing a senior thesis, but assured members that "I feel committed to BGLSA."

Only the race for co-chair was contested. Oppenheimer was a third candidate for the position, but lost in a close vote.