Vote for Reps, Embolden Council

The elections which are being held this week for representatives to the Undergraduate Council require student participation. It is imperative that we take a minute out of our hectic schedules to vote for district candidates. Simply by voting, no matter for whom, we support an undergraduate power base at Harvard that is only made possible through representative democracy. If students make a concerted effort to voice their opinion through ballots, the administration must recognize that the council represents student interests. The student government will thereby be empowered to speak on our behalf.

We are pleased to see first-year enthusiasm in Yard contests for the council, even if those hotly contested races may simply result from a profound ignorance of the council's historical ineffectiveness. However, we are disappointed to learn that the upperclass elections are pathetically non-competitive. In Adams, Cabot, Lowell, Mather and Winthrop Houses, there appear to be tens of uncontested seats. Nevertheless, we encourage all students to vote as a show of support for the council.

We hope that the council will consider amending its by-laws so as to decrease the overall number of representatives in the future. Any measure which would enhance choice in the voting process is always a positive step.

We wish the council a productive semester in revamping the Core, securing smaller sections with better trained TFs, promoting a safer campus, hiring more female faculty members, insisting on student privacy and advocating for socially responsible behavior. We'll be keeping track of its record.