Detur Prizes Awarded to 134 Sophomores

More than 50 percent of sophomores with grade point averages above 14 were awarded the Detur Book Prize, the College's oldest prize, for academic performance during their first-year.

"I was nervous coming into Harvard and it was harder than I thought it would be, but it went well and this is not only an honor, but a confidence-builder," said Cheryl A. Gray '99, a joint concentrator in Economics and Environmental Sciences and public Policy.

"I was actually a bit surprised," said Daniel K. Biss, '99-'98, a math concentrator. "The University does not usually give merit-based scholarships and it just didn't seem within the pattern of their doing with money."

The total number of students who were awarded prizes rose to 134, from 120 last year, continuing an upward trend during the past few years, according to Laurie A. Harriman, assistant to the dean of students.

The increase was possible because of a recent fund-raising effort by the Charity of Edward Hopkins, which founded and continues to endow the award, Harriman said.

Francis Coolidge, secretary of the charity and an attorney at Ropes & Gray, will present each of the winners with a hardcover book of their choice, to be embossed with the Harvard and Detur seals, at a reception in the Faculty Room of University Hall Dec. 2.

"Giving us money to buy a book, enabling us to gain more knowledge is a great way and the most appropriate way to honor us," said Miriam B. Goldstein '99, a physics concentrator. "I will probably buy The Zionist Idea by Arthur Hertzberg, a collection of the most important Zionist documents because I am interested in Jewish history."

Andrew C. Eggers '99, a history concentrator, said he is pleased with the honor even though he is hesitant to place too much emphasis on its meaning.

"A lot of it depends on what classes you take, so I hope that people realize that it doesn't necessarily mean that you're the smartest person around," he said. "I'm definitely excited to get a book though. I was thinking about getting something by Albert Schweitzer or something about [National Public Radio]."