M. Soccer Defeats Hartwick

After Lackluster First Half, Petruccelli & Co. Erupt in Second

By Daniel G. Habib

For the NCAA tournament-bound Harvard men's soccer team, Saturday's 4-1 decision over Hartwick in the regular season finale was a tale of two halves.

After an uncharacteristically careless first half, the seventh-ranked Crimson (15-1-0, 6-1-0 Ivy) woke up and returned to form, punishing the outclassed Hawks (8-12-0) with two sparkling scoring strikes in the opening minutes of the second and then controlling the tempo of the game with solid play in the midfield and persistence on the attack.

"I was happy with no aspect of our game in the first half," Harvard coach Steve Locker said. "We didn't challenge them on defense. We just sent balls straight up the middle."

Indeed, for 45 minutes, Harvard made this a game by giving Hartwick second chance after second chance. The Crimson defense failed to clear cleanly and the midfield couldn't win any headers, permitting the Hawks to play the first half in Harvard territory.

The offensive rushes generated by the Crimson were sporadic at best. Harvard rarely maintained pressure on the Hawk net and turned the ball over before most chances even came to a shot on goal. The Crimson even saw one score disallowed and another rush whistled dead on an offsides call.

The teams traded scores late in the half. Senior midfielder Kevin Silva got Harvard on the board first by converting on a penalty kick in the 38th minute. Silva had been pulled down in the box by Hartwick goalie Pete Doneit after a scoring rush.

The Hawks, however, answered two minutes later when midfielder Mike Deming notched the equalizer unassisted off a corner kick. Harvard's defense seemed half-asleep as Deming's shot dribbled around in front and beat goalie Peter Albers in the back corner of the net in the 40th minute.

Coming out of halftime, the Crimson seemed transformed. Sophomore standout Armando Petruccelli, laid up for the past two weeks by injury, entered at midfield and lost little time changing the tenor of the affair.

"I think having Armando in after he had been out for two weeks really gave us some energy," captain Will Kohler said. "He stepped in and assisted on two great goals."

That Petruccelli did, sparking the Crimson's renaissance in the 52nd minute by connecting with freshman forward Alan Bengtzen for the game-winner. Bengtzen had started in place of senior Rich Wilmot, sidelined with a quadriceps injury.

Petruccelli controlled the ball in the Harvard zone, launching it ahead for Bengtzen. The Hawk defense narrowly missed picking off the pass, but Bengtzen controlled it and drove in from the left wing to the box, beating two defensemen and firing a sharp crossing shot that found the net.

Harvard sustained its rediscovered offensive punch, taking a commanding 3-1 advantage in the 53rd minute when Silva and forward Tom McLaughlin assisted Kohler in a neatly-executed scoring combination.

Off back Andrew Lundquist's throw-in, Bengtzen tapped a quick touch pass to McLaughlin, who dribbled up and found Silva near the goal line on the left wing. Silva drew Hartwick's Doneit out of the net and then slipped a backdoor pass to Kohler for the easy tally.

The Crimson, re-energized by its quick scores, finally came around and began playing its typically stylish brand of soccer. An invigorated midfield led by Petruccelli and a newly awakened defense headed by Ricky Le and Lee Williams tightened its game considerably.

"We talked about tactical improvements [at halftime]," Locker said. "Instead of sending the ball straight up the middle, we wanted to use the wings and knock it square. We wanted to play our kind of game."

Locker's adjustments, coupled with the Crimson's standard fine play, settled this matchup early in the second half. Harvard reversed first half trends and established firm control over ball possession. Goalie Albers provided clutch defense throughout, snatching several jump balls in the box and making three saves.

Harvard iced this contest in the 81st minute when Petruccelli calmly lofted a pass into the box for McLaughlin, who netted his Ivy-leading 12th.

With the victory, its 15th, the Crimson bested the previous school record for season wins. The 1969 and 1987 squads held the prior mark at 14. The Crimson recorded its school-best 15th consecutive win, snapping a record also set in 1969.

"I didn't see this as an emotional game," Kohler said. "It was great to set the record but our season isn't complete yet. We're really looking forward to the NCAA tournament."

The selection committee will announce the tournament bracket today at 6 p.m. on Prime Network. Harvard is guaranteed a berth by virtue of its Ivy League title. Wilmot is expected to rejoin the team Sunday, when Harvard will likely host the first round of the 32-team tournament. Hartwick  1 Harvard  4

HARVARD, 4-1 at Ohirl Field Hartwick  1  0  --  1 Harvard  1  3  --  4

Scoring

Harv--Silva, 38:53.

Hart--Deming, 40:15.

Harv--Bengzten (Petruccelli), 52:01.

Harv--Kohler (Silva, McLaughlin), 53:56.

Harv--McLaughlin (Petruccelli), 81:48.

Saves: Hart--Doneit 5; Harv--Albers 3.

Scoring

Harv--Silva, 38:53.

Hart--Deming, 40:15.

Harv--Bengzten (Petruccelli), 52:01.

Harv--McLaughlin (Petruccelli), 81:48.

Saves: Hart--Doneit 5; Harv--Albers 3.

Scoring

Harv--Silva, 38:53.

Hart--Deming, 40:15.

Harv--Bengzten (Petruccelli), 52:01.

Harv--McLaughlin (Petruccelli), 81:48.

Saves: Hart--Doneit 5; Harv--Albers 3.