Harvard 'Nose' Dave: Student on 'Late Show'

By Kathryn R. Markham

Most Harvard students claim they don't have time for breakfast. Joseph P. Weidle '99 eats it with pinache, and last night, he proved it in on national television.

Weidle was the last of three featured performers on the "Stupid Human Tricks" segment of "Late Show with Dave Letterman: Boston."

He began his segment by lifting a metal tablespoon towards his face--and inserting it into his nose for most of the length of the handle. Turning to Letterman, who was holding a prepared bowl of Rice Krispies, Weidle leaned over, scooped up a spoonful, and by carefully tilting his head poured the Rice Krispies into his mouth and chowed down.

"This Kid could have gone to community college," Letterman said afterwards, elaborating a list of options.

"But he goes to Harvard...he's a genius," he said as the camera panned to the grinning and well-fed Weidle.

In the preface to his performance, Weidle had explained that his ability was the result of studious practice in the dining halls. His introduction on the show as a Harvard student was greeted with mixed audience reaction, including some boos. In response, Letterman quipped, "Oh, you couldn't get in, so you hate him."

But the performance apparently won the hearts of the audience, as it was followed by loud applause.

Weidle, who watched the pretaped show with a large group of friends last night, described himself as "aghast....Meeting Dave Letterman was just fabulous."

Weidle first tried out for the show on Thursday, and was selected for a second round of try-outs yesterday.

He was accompanied at yesterday afternoon's taping by his girlfriend, Marci G. Amato.

"I'm proud of a boyfriend that can stick a spoon up his nose and eat at the same time,"said Amato, a student at Penn State. "It's always a good ice-breaker at family dinners."