Cabot Resident Mugged Walking Across Common

An undergraduate was robbed at gunpoint Sunday at approximately 2 a.m. while walking through Cambridge Common towards the Quad.

The Cabot House resident was approached from behind by two males, one of whom was wearing a mask and armed with what appeared to be a black semi-automatic handgun, according to a Harvard police advisory.

The other male demanded the student's money. After he complied and gave the robbers $15 in cash, one suspect struck the victim in the head with the gun.

"It was very fast," the victim said.

He said he suffered a minor laceration but that he did not need medical treatment.

"I was kind of surprised," he said. "I knew it wasn't extremely safe, but I've never heard of anything happening there."

The male student's name is being withheld for security reasons.

The victim said he would no longer use the path through the middle of the Common at night.

"I will probably avoid that path and use Garden Street or Mass. Ave. instead," he said.

The masked assailant is described as 5'11" with a Hispanic accent. Both suspects were wearing dark clothing. No further description was available.

Harvard Police took a report and "searched the area with Cambridge police to no avail," spokesperson Peggy McNamara said.

Neither Harvard nor Cambridge police are increasing patrols of Cambridge Common in response to the armed robbery and assault.

Cambridge Common is not under jurisdiction of the HUPD, McNamara said.

Sgt. Joseph McSweeney of the Cambridge Police Department said there will be no change in the CPD's policing of the area since Cambridge police are "always out there all night."

McSweeney said CPD has no suspects in the case.

This incident is the latest in a series of armed robberies plaguing the Harvard area.

In a two-week period beginning Oct. 23, a first-year student was robbed through his Wigglesworth Hall dorm room window, and two undergraduates near the Quad and a graduate student near Lamont library were victims of armed robberies.

McSweeney said he did not think Sunday's incident was related to other armed robberies in the Harvard area.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III urged students to be mindful of their safety.

"I would caution members of the community to be very careful when going out," Epps said.

"It seems to be a group working in this area," Epps said.

Epps said the Dean of Students Office has no immediate plans in response to this most recent robbery but that he has spoken with the Harvard Police about the incident.

"I'm sure that [the Harvard Police] will make their presence known in the area," Epps said.

Cabot House Co-Master Janice Ware said that she was unaware of the armed robbery involving a Cabot resident.

"I did not know anything about it," Ware said