Hussain Will Appear on MTV

Harvard Student Competes in `Idiot Savants' Game Show

By Jessie M. Amberg

Not many Harvard students would proudly describe themselves as "idiots." But Murad S. Hussain '99 doesn't hesitate to do so.

Hussain went from Eliot House to New York City two weeks ago to appear on "Idiot Savants," a quiz show which will premiere next week on MTV.

Hussain described the show, a brainchild of MTV staff members Michael Dugan and Chris Kreski, as "MTV-style Jeopardy, except the host is like Dennis Miller on Valium and there is a huge brain sitting in the middle of the studio."

Hussain, the executive producer of "The Common Room," a comedy show on Harvard-Radcliffe Television (HRTV), said he heard about "Idiot Savants" from a friend at HRTV. Hussain then called the show and answered a few recorded questions similar to those that would appear on the show itself.

Alussa Weinstein, contestant coordinator for "Idiot Savants," apparently liked what she heard, because she called him back and an audition. He and other potential contestants played a mock round of the game which was taped.

"Murad scored highly on the test he took over the phone as well as in his audition," said Amy Bazil Beaumont, the coordinating producer of the show. "He also had a great personality and that's what we look for."

After making the final cut, Hussain taped five shows in the two days before Thanksgiving break.

Hussain said he was impressed with the set, which features The All-Mighty brain, an eight-foot sphere of palpitating grey matter with a video screen conveniently located in its frontal lobe.

According to an MTV press release, four contestants compete against one another for an entire week of episodes, which will air at 7 p.m. and repeat at 11 p.m.

The winner at the end of each day is pronounced the Savant, with the loser being named the Dunce.

At the end of the week, the highest scoring competitor is graced with the title Grand Savant, and wins prizes ranging from a television set to surround sound speakers to a trip for two to the Middle East.

Questions on the show are based on academics and popular culture.

Academic categories include "Dead White Europeans" and "Conjunction Junction," while pop culture sections range from "Bands that Rhyme with Zmead" to the more obtuse "According to Screech."

Hussain's competitors were two college graduates and a first-year from Yale.

"The host brought up the Harvard-Yale game," Hussain said, "mentioning the fact that we won and harping on it."

Not to worry: The Eli did not end up winning.

"It is such a high concept for MTV, given their other shows.

Hopefully enough people will watch it so it won't get canceled," Hussain said.

The show is currently scheduled to run for 65 episodes.

Hussain performed poorly the first two days, initially claiming the Dunce title, but managed to redeem himself by the end of the week.

Fans will get the chance to see how he fared the week of December 16