Gramm Supporters Need New Candidate

By Flora Tartakovsky

After a devastating defeat in the Louisiana primary and a fifth-place finish in Iowa, Sen. Phil Gramm (R-Tex.) is calling it quits, leaving his supporters looking for a new candidate to back among the eight remaining GOP presidential contenders.

"When you run fifth in Iowa, an important state, you would have to be not to take a look at where you are and what you're doing," Gramm told the Associated Press Tuesday.

Gramm was initially viewed as a major threat to Sen. Bob Dole (R-Kan.), but his prospects fizzled quickly after the Louisiana vote.

Some Harvard Republicans said they are not surprised by Gramm's withdrawal.

"He failed to differentiate himself from Dole," said Brian E. Malone '96, a member of the Harvard Republican Club. "For people who were attracted to a moderate Republican, it would be easier to support Dole because he's a bit more charismatic."

While Dole entered the race favored to win the Republican nomination and the media has focused its attention on publisher Steve Forbes, Gramm failed to distinguish himself as the man who could lead the Republicans to victory.

"With the personality Gramm displayed during the campaign, it looked like it was doomed from the start," said James F. Dickerson '98, president of the Republican Club. "He came across as unfriendly, and the media certainly portrayed him as that."

Gramm supporters will now probably turn to Dole for leadership, with a smaller fraction voting for Buchanan, according to one member of the Republican Club.

But another member of the club said that Gramm supporters would not consider endorsing Buchanan.

"If you're the kind of person who's supported Phil Gramm all along, Buchanan wouldn't have been attractive at any point. He was kind of wishy-washy," Malone said.

Gramm spent at least $20 million in his short-lived campaign for the presidency.