M. Hockey Falters in ECAC

St. Lawrence Maintains Narrow Lead Over Vermont

By Jessica E. Kahan

Without Rob Millar, the Harvard men's hockey team (10-12-1, 9-6-1 ECAC) could very well have been held scoreless last week. The freshman forward played a role in all seven of Harvard's scores against Yale and Boston College, tallying two goals and five assists and earning a spot on the ECAC Honor Roll.

But even Millar's performance could not garner the team a victory. A Harvard squad severely handicapped by injuries fell to Yale (7-18-0, 4-12-0) on Friday night in New Haven, 6-5.

Monday, the ailing Crimson fell again as it lost to Boston College in the consolation round of the Beanpot, 6-2. Boston University claimed its second consecutive Beanpot crown, blowing past Northeastern in the championship game, 11-4.

In addition to Harvard's failing in its quest for bragging rights in Boston, the Crimson also lost any chance it had of winning the Ivy League crown with its setback against the Elis. With a 5-3-0 record, Harvard should finish second in the race for the Ivy League title.

It was Cornell (12-7-4, 9-3-4) who stood between Harvard and the Ivy League crown. The Big Red defeated Dartmouth (4-17-2, 3-12-1), 4-2, and clinched the title as it is now an undefeated 7-0-1 in the Ivies.

Cornell also tied ECAC title contender Vermont (17-5-4, 11-2-3) 2-2 on Saturday night. Vermont had edged Colgate (13-11-2, 9-5-2) by a 2-1 score on Friday, enabling the Catamounts to earn three of four possible points last weekend and keep pace with ECAC leader St. Lawrence (16-8-2, 12-2-2).

The Saints, led by ECAC Rookie of the Week Bob Prier, finished the weekend with a tie and a victory to retain its one-point lead in the conference. Prier had three goals in St. Lawrence's 6-5 victory over Union (5-15-4, 2-11-3) on Saturday. St. Lawrence could have used a sixth goal Friday night, too, when it tied Rensselaer at 5-5.

The Engineers fared even worse on Saturday. RPI (7-16-3, 5-9-2) fell to Clarkson (17-7-2, 11-4-1), 4-1. Clarkson recorded a perfect weekend, also downing Union, 5-4.

Colgate junior Mike Harder was named ECAC Player of the Week for scoring four of the eight Red Raider goals against the Big Green of Dartmouth on Saturday night. Colgate crushed Dartmouth 8-2 as it rebounded from its loss to Vermont the night before.

Brown (8-7-8, 5-5-6), who is third in the Ivy race, tied Princeton (4-15-4, 2-11-3) on Friday night and then downed Yale on Saturday, 4-1. The draw against Princeton tied an NCAA record for most ties by one team in a season.

This weekend, conference leaders Vermont and St. Lawrence will remain at home. Vermont hosts Union and RPI. Yale and Princeton travel to St. Lawrence. Harvard will also remain at home. The Crimson faces the Big Red tomorrow and the Red Raiders Saturday at Bright Hockey Center. ECAC STANDINGS   OVERALL  ECAC Team  W  L  T  W  L  T St. Lawrence  16  8  2  12  2  2 Vermont  17  5  4  11  2  3 Clarkson  17  7  2  11  4  1 Cornell  12  7  4  9  3  4 Colgate  13  11  2  9  5  2 Harvard  10  12  1  9  6  1 Brown  8  7  8  5  5  6 RPI  7  16  3  5  9  2 Yale  7  18  0  4  12  0 Dartmouth  4  17  2  3  12  1 Union  5  15  4  2  11  3 Princeton  4  15  4  2  11  3