U.C. May Sponsor Rock Concert

$15K Allocated for A Tribe Called Quest

By Peggy S. Chen

The Undergraduate Council Sunday night passed a resolution 45-13 to use a $15,000 gift from Harvard Dining Services to sponsor a spring concert by the band A Tribe Called Quest.

Dining Services gave the funds to the council after finalizing a deal with PepsiCo that allocates additional funding for student initiatives.

Proponents of the bill said this unexpected windfall would make possible an event they have been wanting to do for a long time.

"This is the next step in building our credibility," said council veteran Rudd W. Coffey '97. "We don't have many things that bring 2,000 students together. This will provide a sense of community. This is our mission on campus."

Although the money has been formally allocated, the council does not yet have a commitment from A Tribe Called Quest or a place or date for the concert.

The resolution is also contingent on either a check or written confirmation from Director of Dining Services Michael P. Berry, director of Dining Services.

A vocal minority of the council, however, opposed the bill, objecting to spending the money without proper consideration of other possible uses or ethical implications.

Council members did not have a chance to consider the bill before the meeting, as the bill's sponsors received confirmation that the money would be available only during the meeting.

"I object to passing the largest spending bill we've had all year at 11 p.m. on a night when we barely have quorum," said council member Marco B. Simons '97. "It seems rash for the council to make such a decision at this time."

Other council members thought the money could be used in better ways.

"Wouldn't it be great to build up a slush fund in case we lose money on an event?" said Stephen E. Weinberg '99. "If we want future councils to have safeties so they can have these kinds of events, we need to look at saving money."

Some members were also concerned about accepting money from PepsiCo, which invests in countries with questionable human rights records.

Simons said he believes that part of PepsiCo's motive for the gift was "to buy [the council's] silence."

In other business, the council decided to sponsor two social events, Skate Night and Casino Night.

Skate Night would open Bright Hockey Center for a recreational skating event.

Casino Night, which may be held in Lowell House, would be a gambling event for prizes.

Council members also debated a constitutional amendment that would allow non-council members to run for president and vice president in the council's upcoming popular elections.

Constitutional amendments require yes votes from three-fourths of the council's membership for approval, so Vice President Brian R. Blais '97 will employ phone voting to complete the poll.

Supporters of the amendment said open elections would better represent the student body.

"Let the students decide how their student body should be represented," said Treasurer Edward B. Smith III '97.

The resolution outlining new popular election procedures for the president and the vice president was tabled, however, because the issue of open elections had not yet been decided.

Because only 52 out of 79 council members were present, two other constitutional amendments voted on Sunday night will also be decided by phone vote.

One amendment would make all language in the constitution gender-neutral. The other would give the secretary the power to reword gender-specific language in future council documents.

"I think these [gender-specific] terms are archaic," said council Secretary Lamelle D. Rawlins '99, who sponsored the amendment. "We have a non-discrimination policy in the constitution and we need to follow it."

Others questioned whether the secretary should have the power to change wording in council documents.

"I personally am not comfortable with having my bill changed at the secretary's discretion," said council member E. Michelle Drake '97-'96, who is a Crimson editor