Dudley Forum Discusses Race Issues

By Adam D. Gerson

Approximately 40 people filled the Dudley House common room last night to see a forum titled, "Is it Safe to Talk About Race at Harvard?"

The speakers, who each represented different perspectives on the issue, were James S. Hoyte '65 assistant to the president for affirmative action, Eric J. Narcisse, a graduate student in Government and president of the DuBois Society, and Constance B. Hillaird '71, a visiting professor at the Center for Middle Eastern Studies.

The issues discussed ranged from the University's problems hiring minority faculty members to miscommunication occurring in race-related conversations.

The goals of the program were both to commemorate Black History Month and to foster the discussion of race at Harvard, according to Kanchan Chandra, cultural and intellectual co-fellow for Dudley House, which sponsored the event along with the DuBois Society.

A question and discussion session followed the speakers' remarks. Issues raised included channeling anger for progressive goals, the national and university denial of racism and the changing nature of racism.

Speaking from a couch in the inner ring of the common room, Hoyte opened the program with a speech focusing on affirmative action at the University.

He began by explaining the history of the University's commitment to diversity, saying that it has been present for more than 100 years. Hoyte added that this dedication became formalized in the 1960s, because of pressure from students and the government, and even more so with affirmative action beginning in 1970.

"The fact of the matter is that Harvard has done a fairly decent job in student diversity," he said. "I only wish we would do so well in faculty and staff diversity."

Hoyte suggested that each school use a carefully planned approach, much like they have done successfully with students, to achieve faculty and staff diversity

He said that he both anticipated and welcomed a possible audit from the Department of Labor within a year because "it keeps us on our toes and helps us be specific about the things we want to accomplish and stick to those things."

The last audit, in 1990, identified violations that the University resolved to the satisfaction of the department by the end of 1991, Hoyte said.

Narcisse, who is writing his dissertation on race and political representation, said the forum was "a beginning of an important discussion that is long overdue."

"This is the perfect venue to examine an issue which has played an integral role in this country, a venue where reason and logic should serve to produce constructive discourse and cultivate principled debate," he said.

Coming from the South, Narcisse said he looked forward to graduate school at Harvard, where "education could serve as an antidote to the disease of racism."

But, he added, that since his arrival he had been disappointed by the University community.

As examples, he cited Dudley House's failure to recognize Black History Month last year and poor attendance by whites at events which minority organizations sponsor.

Narcisse also condemned the slow administrative response to an article published in the Standard last fall, in which a Government professor spoke of unqualified minorities in the graduate student body.

Narcisse concluded his remarks by citing an Ethiopian proverb: "He who conceals his disease cannot expect to be cured."

The final speaker of the night was Hillaird, who focused on the discrepancies that hinder "safe" communication about race.

"When we're talking about race, one of the reasons it may appear to be unsafe is that sometimes in the course of conversation different people may be talking about different things," Hillaird said.

According to Hilliard, the racial issue can be broken up into three parts: racism, white skin privilege and low black self-esteem.

She defined racism as discrimination, prejudice and hateful behavior, much like that of the Klu Klux Klan.

Hillaird said that "white skin privilege" is the result of a subtle, but real caste system in America.

"A white person does not have to actively discriminate to enjoy the benefits of being in the privileged class," she said.

Opposing this "casted structure" to American society implies "consciously fighting against something that is very hard to admit," according to Hillaird.

The final problem she identified was low black self-esteem. Hillaird said that this problem was a remnant of slavery and is a problem especially among the poor.

The DuBois Society's next event will be an interdisciplinary graduate student conference called "Race as a Tool," planned for April 13