PBHA Votes Changes To Board

By Marian Hennessy-fiske

In a move that will increase its autonomy, Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA) passed a resolution yesterday restructuring its existing board of trustees to include PBHA alumni, clients, founders and other members of the Boston and Cambridge communities.

"It absolutely increases the autonomy [of PBHA] since it gives students the resources to run programs as they like," said Andrew J. Ehrlich '96, president of PBHA.

Ehrlich said PBHA members "examined organizations at Yale, Berkeley and other institutions and found that PBHA is one of the few organizations that doesn't have non-student support."

The resolution, which passed by a vote of 53 to 3, creates a new structure in which individuals outside the Harvard community can share in the PBHA decision-making process through board membership.

"To an extent, [these changes] foster autonomy since the new board of trustees gives increased power to those more directly involved," said Daniel J. Adam '97, publicity and public relations coordinator for PBHA.

Board members are responsible for hiring staff, determining long range plans and passing corporate policy in consultation with the PBHA cabinet, according to a press release. The board is also responsible for all PBHA fundraising and capital campaigns, including the upcoming centennial celebration.

"Having the input of all these different stakeholders gives the organization potential for tremendous growth," Jennifer Goldberg '94, former president of PBHA, said in a statement.

Ehrlich agreed that the decision will allow PBHA greater freedom and that "given the complexity of what we do, this is a necessary step."

PBHA has sought to increase its autonomy since Judith H. Kidd was named the new assistant dean of public service in November, a choice which was unpopular among the PBHA student leadership and the adult advisory board.

But Kidd said in the statement that she "would be happy to work with this new board." She also said she is "here to strengthen and support public service for undergraduates."

"I think Kidd is eager to work with whatever structure we feel suits us best," said Ehrlich, who had been highly critical of the appointment of Kidd.

Adam said that Kidd has worked closely with PBHA members in the restructuring.

He said that Kidd "sees her role as improving public service" and that she is willing to work past the "petty bickering of this bureaucratic dispute" in order to help students.

PBHA members said more restructuring may come in the future.

"[The changes are] only the first step towards the endorsement of a broad framework" of new plans for PBHA, Ehrlich said. He said he sees the restructuring as a "continuing process."

Adam agreed that real reform has only just begun at PBHA.

"This is just a precursor to further changes," he said