PepsiCo, HDS Deal in Limbo

U.C. Votes to Re-Sign Coca-Cola

Although 69 percent of students favored accepting a gift of $15,000 from PepsiCo in an Undergraduate Council survey of nearly 300 students, the results might be moot.

Harvard Dining Services (HDS) might not be signing with PepsiCo after all. The deal with PepsiCo is in limbo because PepsiCo officials are unhappy with some details in the contract, according to Brian R. Blais '97, vice president of the council.

HDS is also considering giving Coca-Cola a second chance to make an offer, Blais said.

Last night, the council passed a resolution asking HDS to re-sign with Coca-Cola.

PepsiCo had offered the council $15,000 and Phillips Brooks House $10,000 as a signing bonus. Coke probably will not offer students groups any money if they re-sign with HDS, said Student Affairs Committee chair Marco B. Simons '97, who met with the HDS director of purchasing last Friday.

HDS has turned down a $25,000 check from PepsiCo because the deal is not yet finalized, Blais said. But because of a deal struck with the council, HDS offered the council the money two weeks ago in anticipation that the deal and the check would be forthcoming.

"The check was available to us during this time," Blais said. "Those of us who were in favor of allocating the money already are rightly peeved that we might have lost all or part of the money," he said.

Simons said if the deal with PepsiCo does not go through, then HDS will try to get the money for the council anyway. HDS could take the money out of profits from Loker Commons, Simons said.

The uncertainty has delayed council decisions concerning the allocation of the funds. Originally, the council had wanted to bring the band A Tribe Called Quest to campus, but that idea has been scrapped.

"I don't think the council should decide right now what to do with the money," Simons said. "Future councils will be able to use the money more effectively than we can."

PBHA has not picked up its money either, said PBHA president Andrew J. Ehrlich '97-'96.

Ehrlich said he doesn't know what the status of the money is right now. PBHA leaders are to meet with Berry later in the week to discuss the situation.

At last night's meeting, the council passed a resolution 30-7 asking HDS to stay with Coca-Cola because of student preference for Coke and concerns about Pepsi's investments in Burma, a nation known for its human rights abuses.

"Mike Berry is a person who's always been open to student opinion," said Jennifer S. Joel '98, one of the bill's sponsors. "Now there is a window to do it, there's no reason we should not."

But other council members did not want to pass a resolution without more concrete details about the situation.

"It really bothers me that we're doing this without any details of contracts, or what money is involved," said Blais.

In other business last night, the council passed two more resolutions for social events.

The council has scheduled a Karaoke Night in Loker on April 19, and Springfest, an outdoor festival of carnival events, food and music, on May 4 in the MAC Quad.

The council has allocated $5,000 to hire a band for Springfest. The organizers will bid from a list of eight bands, listed in order of preference by council members.

The acts are Bosstones, Digable Planets, George Clinton, Ani di Franco, Freddy Jones, Method Man, Oasis and Black Sheep