President Dances Night Away

Rudenstine Delights First-Years at Annenberg Hall Party

By Kathryn R. Markham

The first-year dining area in Annenberg Hall was packed with people and food last night--but for once, the focus wasn't on eating.

President Neil L. Rudenstine and his wife Anjelica Zander Rudenstine met with hundreds of first-years at the annual President's Dance.

Most of the students said they enjoyed the opportunity to meet Harvard's highest-ranking official.

"They don't get in touch with students much [because] they're the liaison people between the school and the world," said Jocelyn C. Ludwick '99. "They're also excellent waltzers."

The couple was at the dance from 8:30 until about 10 p.m., interacting with students in a number of ways.

"I wanted to dance with him, and I asked," said Mellody R. Hayes '99. "He did some tricky moves that I had to catch up with. I like dancing with him. He was smooth on his feet."

Some first-years used the event as an opportunity to express personal style. One first-year woman speaking on condition of anonymity explained the elaborate body painting which she and two friends had donned for the evening: "It's expressive of the basic ethos of my personality for tonight."

Preparations for the dance were made possible in part by the efforts of the Undergraduate Council.

"It's a nice way to say goodbye before we become sophomores," said council member Enmi Sung '99. "No Domna at the checker, though. We miss her."

Of Rudenstine's interactions, Sung concluded that "he socializes really well. It makes you realize that he's not president for nothing."