Dining Services Decrees 'Coke Is It'

Decision Garners Student Support

The verdict is in.

Harvard Dining Services (HDS) will once again serve Coca-Cola, reversing a decision made earlier this year to contract with Pepsi, Michael P. Berry, outgoing Director of HDS, told the Crimson last night.

Coke's victory comes after months of campus controversy concerning Pepsi's questionable human rights record and the significant student preference for Coke products.

Reached in Anaheim, California, where he will be working at Disneyland, Berry said that the Coke contract is still conditional on an improved service record. The company's history of inferior customer service had partially prompted the original move to Pepsi.

The current situation, with Pepsi in Annenberg Hall and HDS restaurants and Coke in the dinning halls, will remain until the end of the year. Then, assuming Coke has performed service tasks satisfactorily, all the facilities will be turned over to Coke during the summer, according to the director.

"If Coke stays up to par in terms of service they will get all the business," Berry said.

The new contract with Coke includes some provisions that resemble aspects of the short-lived Pepsi agreement, including a $25,000 donation to the Undergraduate Council and Phillips Brooks House.

According to Berry, the decision was made in spite of the fact that Pepsi was a better financial deal because of student preference for Coke and concern over Pepsi's alleged human rights violations in Burma.

"I'd rather not be embroiled in a political issue," he said.

The director added, though, that if Coke did not bring its service up to appropriate levels it would be let go "in a minute."

Coke had offered to provide 2,000 free gallons if service was not satisfactory, but HDS declined, insisting that it just wanted good service and if it was bad that would be all for Coke, Berry said.

Student leaders were elated over the change, with some taking partial credit for it.

Robert M. Hyman '98-'97, president of the Undergraduate Council, anticipated the change and chalked up the switch to the council's campaign against Pepsi.

"We invited Mike Berry to our last meeting and lobbied on this issue," Hyman said. "He was obviously receptive to our comments."

According to its president, the council adopted a "two-pronged approach" for the anti-Pepsi campaign. The council attacked Pepsi's human rights record in Burma and emphasized students' overwhelming preference for Coke.

"I think this victory shows what can be achieved by an organized, activist student government," Hyman said.

HDS employees echoed Berry's comments on the decision, saying the move was made for reasons other than efficiency.

"Students wanted Coke over Pepsi," shrugged John D. Allegretto, HDS purchasing manager.

He added that student preference was by far the leading concern, even overriding such practical considerations as service quality. While Coke's tenure as official cola provider was plagued by inferior service, Pepsi has shown greater attentiveness to HDS' needs, Allegretto said.

Creating some confusion, however, a representative of HDS who spoke to the Committee on House Life last night told the students, faculty and administration members that Pepsi's service record might be a deciding factor.

"We told Coke to come back to us with a set of proposals," he said. "They came back with something less than satisfactory. This whole issue is about service."

HDS customer satisfaction aside, many students feel that a return to Coke will be ideal from a taste point of view. Soda-drinkers in dining halls repeatedly endorsed Coke.

"I wouldn't drink Pepsi," said Dave Chang '97, sipping his Coke over dinner in Lowell House.

"Since Coke left Annenberg, I felt this hole in my life," lamented Gabby V. Novacek '99 as she waited on lin