Economics Doctoral Student Commits Suicide

Dmitry V. Podkopaev, a candidate for a Ph.D. in economics in Harvard's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, committed suicide on June 12 by jumping out of a Holyoke Center window. He was 25.

According to a police officer who spoke on condition of anonymity, Podkopaev locked himself in a bathroom in the Harvard Planning and Real Estate Office, located on the ninth floor of Holyoke Center. He then kicked out the window or smashed it with a trash can, the source said.

Rahsaan J. Glover, a technician at Moto Photo, was standing outside his workplace on Dunster Street across from Holyoke Center at 11 a.m. when he heard glass smashing above him. Glover looked up in time to see Podkopaev step out of the window "like he was just stepping off the sidewalk."

Nearly a hundred onlookers gathered at the scene of the tragedy. Like in any crowd, details were passed around quickly, if not accurately. Onlookers knew within minutes that the victim was a Harvard student, and that he studied economics.

But none of those gathsered knew that Podkopaev took ice skating lessons on early Saturday mornings last winter to improve his rollerblading skills, or that he was an avid ball-room dancer, or that his many friends admired his intelligence, his sensitivity and his zest for life.

Dmitry Valery Podkopaev--known as "Dima" to his friends--was born in a small village in the Ukraine called Vinnitsa. His family was poor; he was raised in a house with no electricity. Academics were his ticket out of poverty. He worked his way to top honors as an undergraduate mathematics student in Russia and went on to receive his master's in economics from the New Economics School in Moscow in 1994.

That fall, he began working toward his doctorate at Harvard. According to friends, Podkopaev wanted to graduate in three years, even though the average for doctoral candidates in economics is five.

Unlike his classmates who hoped for careers in academia, Podkopaev sought a career as a professional. He wanted to enter "the real world" as soon as possible, friends said, so he could start making money to support family members, who still live without electricity in Vinnitsa.

Podkopaev's friends said he was of above average intelligence, even among his fellow doctoral candidates. The task of explaining complicated material often fell to him in his study group.

"He took time to talk to you, even when he was stressed," said a classmate, who asked to remain anonymous. "But he was never arrogant. He was friendly when he went to the board."

Friends also admired Podkopaev's inquisitive nature.

"He was very interested in the way the world works," a friend said. "He made a habit of pressuring professors in class, even as a first-year. He was rarely satisfied with a partial answer."

Podkopaev's life was not, however, consumed by his academics. He loved sports, including skiing and rollerblading, which he picked up last fall. One friend said Podkopaev's trek every Saturday at 8 a.m. last winter from Child Hall to the Bright Hockey Center symbolized his determination and enthusiasm.

Podkopaev took ballroom dancing lessons "He was quite a fantastic dancer," one friend said--and particularly enjoyed Latin music and dancing.

Friends were at a loss to say why Podkopaev, a young man with such an apparent zest for living, chose to end his own life.

Some pointed to a car accident in which Podkopaev was involved the night before his suicide. Podkopaev, who had received his driver's license just this spring, rented a car on June 11--perhaps, friends said, for a trip to the White Mountains.

Cambridge Police Detective Frank T. Pasquarello said Podkopaev's car was involved in an accident with a car driven by a woman at the intersection of Portland and Warren streets the night of June 12.

Podkopaev was then taken to Cambridge Hospital, where he was treated for a head injury and released.

Friends said Podkopaev was distraught that night over the accident, and was worried about the cost.

Though some have speculated that the pressures of adjusting to the United States for foreign students may lead them to be more suicide-prone, Director of University Health Services David S. Rosenthal '59 said international students are often part of very strong, supportive communities at Harvard made up of their compatriots.

Rosenthal added that this seemed to be the case for Podkopaev.

Friends suggested that Podkopaev's sensitive nature ultimately contributed to his suicide.

"I think he was one of the most sensitive people in the department," one friend said. "He hardly asked for help himself. He was always there to cheer you up."

But the friend added, "People who can go that high up, can also go far down."

Classmates, friends and faculty who knew Podkopaev held a memorial service last week at which over one dozen people spoke.

Friends are paying tribute to Podkopaev by writing their memories of him to his parents.

Students have also organized a collection, the proceeds of which will be sent to Podkopaev's family