Crimson Grille Survives Raid

Bar Has Kept Liquor License Despite Alleged Infractions

By Laura C. Semerjian

The Cambridge License Commission has just decided the fate of a popular watering-hole for local college students--and students should be pleased.

Despite the efforts of its executive officer, the commission voted on May 30 not to suspend the Crimson Sports Grille's liquor license.

Richard V. Scali, executive officer of the licensing commission, recommended on May 28 that the commission revoke the Grille's liquor license.

According to Scali, the commission voted to dismiss the action against the Grille based on evidence submitted by the sports bar's attorney, James J. Rafferty.

The committee issued the Grille a warning, however, and will continue to observe the bar, Scali said. "The licensee needs to do something about the number of underage [patrons]."

A History of Violations

The JFK Street bar has been the target of licensing commission investigations several times in the past few years.

In 1994, the Grille was charged with allowing underage drinking and was hit with a 30-day suspension of its liquor license. The suspension was served on selected days over a one-year period.

In early 1995, the Grille faced another 30-day suspension on the same charges, which the bar unsuccessfully appealed, before the Alcohol Beverages Control Commission (ABCC).

The bar was cited for its third license violation in December 1995 and faced a six-day suspension. Its appeal hearing for that violation was scheduled for May 29, but the proceedings were postponed until June when McCarthy was hospitalized with chest pains.

The Raid

Although the ABCC will not hear the Grille's appeal of the commission's third decision until June, the licensing commission continued with a further investigation of the Grille on April 11, as part of a series of police raids of Harvard Square establishments.

According to Scali, the commission generally investigates five or six establishments at one time in order to avoid singling out one bar. The Hong Kong Restaurant, Grendel's Den, the Spaghetti Club and the Bow and Arrow Pub were the other area bars searched by the Cambridge police on April 11.

Cambridge Police Officer Leon Lashley and Officer Andrea Boyer from the License Commission found three underage students in the Grille during the April raid.

Boyer questioned two Boston College students who claimed to have entered the Grille without showing IDs. The students also said they had no valid IDs to show the officers.

Paul McCarthy, manager and owner of the Grille, informed the officers that students would not have been allowed to enter the Grille without valid IDs.

According to Boyer and Lashley, McCarthy later added that he allows underage students into the Grille to eat.

In response to the officers' discoveries, the Grille was charged for the fourth time in recent years for allowing underage drinking.

Further investigation revealed, however, that the two Boston College students had lied to the police.

The students admitted in court that they had entered the Grille with fraudulent Massachusetts drivers licenses.

The students also confessed to destroying their fake IDs before appearing in court.

Both students were assessed 25 hours of community service as a penalty for their actions.

The Grille is not responsible for underage students who gain entrance with fake IDs, Scali said.

According to Scali, the Licensing Commission had "no choice but to dismiss the action" taken against the Grille after Rafferty submitted evidence showing that the Boston College students had lied to the investigators from the commission.

Collegiate Concern

The commission's investigation of the Grille was partially a response to requests from Boston College and Harvard administrations, Scali said.

Scali informed The Crimson after the hearing that he received two phone calls from administrators concerned about underage drinking at the Grille. Both the Boston College and Harvard general counsels asked that the commission investigate the Grille.

Harvard Vice President and General Counsel Margaret H. Marshall said she had no comment on the subject when asked last Thursday. Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 was on vacation and not available for comment.

At last Wednesday's hearing, Rafferty also questioned the involvement of the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) in the raid.

Rafferty voiced his disapproval at the hearing that the HUPD had participated in a raid at an off-campus establishment.

But, Scali said, the HUPD officers were at the Grille at the commission's request, only acting as observers with absolutely no authority.

There was no mention in the HUPD police blotter from April 11 of HUPD involvement in the sweep of the Grille.