WordsWorth Opens Children's Book Store

Curious George arrived in Harvard Square last Friday, peddling his tricycle and looking for fun.

He's finding adventures of all kinds in WordsWorth's new spin-off for kids, Curious George Goes to Wordsworth.

As bright and colorful as a toy box, the children's book and gift store opened Friday at 1 John F. Kennedy St. in the heart of the Square.

The children's store complements WordsWorth Books, a more main-stream store a few steps away down Brattle Street.

The new store offers a selection of children's books, which range from pre-school fare like Richard Scary, Spot and--of course--Curious George, to young adult classics like Anne of Green Gables, The Wizard of Oz and Little Women, to beautifully-illustrated hardcover picture books and how-to books for children.

In addition to books, Curious George stocks stuffed animals, T-shirts, chalk boards, play tea sets, posters and a variety of children's toys, many of them book-related.

According to Judith Rosen, a spokesperson for WordsWorth, the opening of the new store is a way of expanding with flair.

"In part moving down the street was a way of making more space, but it also gave us a chance to have a really fun kids section," Rosen said.

"Because we have more space we're able to have some of the gifts and things that connect with books," she continued.

According to Jennifer James, who has worked for WordsWorth for six years, the new independence of the children's section has also left more room for other sections of the store to expand.

James said business was quite good over the weekend. Rosen said the store will hold a grand opening the first weekend in October, which will feature, among other festivities, an appearance by Curious George himself.

The interior of Curious George, which also features a small room set aside for younger children, follows a jungle motif, complete with a mas- sive tree in the middle of the store.

"We just tried to make it very kidfriendly," Rosen said. "Mainly it's just a fun store."

"It's the only stand-alone children's bookstore in the Square," she continued, "and I think that's something that parents and children will enjoy."

Parents, children and others who visited the store yesterday to browse through its selection and enjoy the air-conditioning, seemed to agree.

Carian A. McLean, who was exploring the pre-school section with her son Zachariah, 14 months, said she was enjoying her first visit to the store.

"I think it's nice to have a separate place [for kids], especially for people who want to stop with their kids for awhile and put them down," McLean said.

"It seems like a nice mixture of books and other things," she added.

But not all the shoppers were parents or children.

"I don't think it's just for kids," said Ken F. Morrison, an undergraduate at MIT.

"The person I'm shopping for is 21," said Morrison. "I think I could find something in here for her."

Although some observers worried that the bright lights the store displays at night might seem out of place in the mellow Harvard Square atmosphere, Rosen said there have been no complaints.

"A city is an organic thing and it keeps changing and evolving," Rosen said. "And I think this is a good change, to have a children's bookstore, to have a bright corner in the Square.