IOP's Upcoming Political Carnival Is More Than Just HYPE

By Amber L. Ramage

Most undergraduates, whether returning students passing by the postered kiosks on campus or incomeing first-years receiving flyers from the Institute of Politics (IOP), have been exposed to the "hype" surrounding HYPE '96--the IOP's upcoming political extravaganza honoring the 1996 elections.

An acronym for Harvard Youth for Political Empowerment '96, HYPE '96 will be a momorable event, according to its organizers, with food, games, speakers, booths and music.

But politics will be the primary focus at HYPE '96, scheduled to take place September 21 from noon until 5 p.m. at the MAC Quad. The date of the event coincides with the IOP's 30th anniversary.

All activities at HYPE '96 will be political by nature, including athletic events. One planned match is a jousting tournament between Republicans and Democrats.

HYPE '96 aims to channel election year political euphoria to "get students more psyched about Election '96," IOP Student Advisory Committee Projects Chair Eric P. Christofferson '98 said.

Christofferson noted that although 99 percent of the IOP-sponsored events are academic in nature, this year the IOP is trying a different tack with HYPE, hoping the carnival-like atmosphere of the event will appeal to all students on campus and perhaps draw their attention to the importance of politics.

"There is a large population that is apathetic not only in the greater community but in Harvard as well," Christofferson said. "HYPE is a way to target them. In order to do this, we've decided to take a more non-traditional approach."

Although earlier reports had suggested John F. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass) might speak or make an appearance at HYPE, neither John-John nor his uncle now say they will be available to attend.

Christofferson said, however, that actual candidates in the 1996 elections (excluding the presidential candidates) would be at the event as well as an undisclosed list of big-name speakers.

Masoumeh "Massy" Tadjedin '99, who is coordinating speakers for HYPE '96, was unable to provide a finalized list of speakers Sunday morning.

However, bigger-name speakers confirmed and slated to "stump" at the event thus far are Rep. Barney Frank '61-'62 (D-Mass.), a highly liberal, often controversial politician who is up for re-election this year, and David Wilhelm, a former chair of the Democratic National Committee and a current IOP Fellow who will be representing Clinton's 1996 presidential campaign at the event.

The actual MTV "Choose or Lose" bus, a mobile voter registration vehicle featured on the MTV news program, will be at HYPE '96, confirmed Christofferson. MTV will likely film the festival for a spot on the "Week in Rock" news.

Christofferson also expects New England Cable News and several local television stations to cover the event.

Rock the Vote, the non-profit voter registration organization which gained fame through its ads on MTV featuring pop celebrities, is likewise scheduled to be at HYPE '96, with its officials manning voter registration tables.

According to Christofferson, representatives from two local radio stations, WJNN Jammin, 94.5 FM and WFNX 101.7 FM, will also attend the event. These and other groups will be giving away prizes and raffling off spring break trips to students who attend HYPE '96, Christofferson said.

Although no professional bands are yet planned for the event, three Harvard bands have agreed to play: Flubber, Xosha and Daily Planet.

The main feature of HYPE, however, will not be the entertainment, but the 25 to 35 student groups, ranging from Harvard Students for Israel to Phillips Brooks House, which will have booths at the event, according to Christofferson.

Each group has been asked by the IOP to create a display or some other attraction centered around the political issue they feel most affects their particular organization. HYPE planners stress, however, that they hope more student organizations will want to get involved once school begins.

"Without issues, you don't have politics," Christofferson said.

Rucker A. Alex '99, who has been in charge of corrdinating the student group involvement for the event, said these groups will help illustrate the universal appeal of politics.

"What we really want is a lot of student participation in HYPE, and a great way to get students involved is to involve the student groups," Alex added.

The IOP is providing funding for HYPE '96, Christofferson said, although he added that the IOP has requested advice on logistics and planning from the Undergraduate Council. Additionally, Christofferson said, the IOP might receive money from the council for HYPE '96.

Rudd W. Coffey '97, a former council executive, has also been involved in helping the IOP with acts for its stage entertainment, Chair of the IOP Students Advisory Committee Avery W. Gardiner '97 said.

In response to questions that HYPE '96 has been significantly scaled back from the grandiose and exuberant plans presented last spring, Gardiner said HYPE '96 is not all "hype."

Gardiner denied the program has been downsized. "Nothing's happened negatively. This is one of the number one projects for the IOP this fall."