Parity Reigns in the Ivy League

* IVY LEAGUE FOOTBALL PREVIEW

By Ethan G. Drogin

For the last five years, three teams have dominated the Ivy League: Pennsylvania, Princeton and Dartmouth. The Quakers, Tigers and Big Green have consistently recruited the best players, leaving the rest of the conference scrambling to keep pace.

The 1996 season might mark the year in which the rest of the league catches up. While the Big Three (of football, anyway) have lost many of their most talented players to graduation, perennial also-rans like Harvard and Brown finally have legitimate shots at contending.

Without further ado, here's a preview of how the race for the Ancient Eight title should shape up:

Dartmouth Big Green Projected Rank: #1 Head coach: John Lyons 1995 Ivy Record: 4-2-1

Outlook: Dartmouth's defense was spectacular last year, holding opponents to 14 points or less in seven of 10 games. Senior co-captain Mark Abel led the way, making 136 tackles from his linebacker position. Although the Big Green passing game is relatively weak, senior co-captain Greg Smith (178 carries for 826 yards) brings a strong ground game to bear on opposing defenses.

Princeton Tigers Projected Rank: #2 Head coach: Steve Tosches 1995 Ivy Record: 5-1-1

Outlook: While the quarterback picture is murky, the Tigers return running back Marc Washington, who gained 937 yards and scored seven touchdowns last season. Kevin Duffy (41 receptions for 583 yards and nine touchdowns) is the league's premier receiver. Princeton is also strong on defense; Damani Leech grabbed eight interceptions last season, anchoring a stellar secondary.

Pennsylvania Quakers Projected Rank: #3 Head coach: Al Bagnoli 1995 Ivy Record: 5-2

Outlook: Always a physical team, Penn has dominated the Ivy League for a decade through its uncanny recruiting ability. But times have changed; the Quakers have lost All-Ivy receiver Miles Macik to graduation and return an inexperienced quarterback in Steve Teodecki. Still, Penn remains dangerous, as running back Aman Abye (145 carries for 695 yards) and a host of veteran lineman return to a dangerous Quaker lineup.

Brown Bears Projected Rank: #4 Head coach: Mark Whipple 1995 Ivy Record: 2-5

Outlook: Brown's Ivy record is deceptive in that the Bears were 5-5 overall and lost to Dartmouth, Princeton and Yale by a combined margin of nine points. The Bears scored more than 28 points in six contests, and return quarterback Jason McCollough (2,402 yards passing, 22 touchdowns) and running back Marquis Jesse (141 carries for 773 yards). If the Bears defense can hold its opponents under 20 points, Brown could seriously contend for the Ivy crown.

Harvard Crimson Projected Rank: #5 Head coach: Tim Murphy 1995 Ivy Record: 1-6

Outlook: Harvard has the talent to compete with anybody in the Ivy League. If the Crimson can remain healthy--particularly the offensive line--then the team should be considered a dark horse candidate to win the Ancient Eight. More realistically, Harvard should finish over .500 for the first time since 1987. See Team Preview page C-1.

Cornell Big Red Projected Rank: #6 Head coach: Jim Hofher 1995 Ivy Record: 5-2

Outlook: The Big Red rode the coattails of its stud running back Chad Levitt (1,428 yards, 13 touch-downs) to a stellar Ancient Eight record last season. Cornell scored more than 20 points in eight games last year and more than 27 points five times. However, the Big Red has lost half of its starters, including quarterback Steve Joyce, and the team appears vulnerable defensively.

Columbia Lions Projected Rank: #7 Head coach: Ray Tellier 1995 Ivy Record: 3-4

Outlook: Like Cornell, Columbia has lost half of its starters, including quarterback Mike Cavanaugh and running back John Harper. Despite returning the league's best defensive lineman in Rory Wilfork (141 tackles), the Lions porous defense allowed more than 30 points in five of its final six games.

Yale Bulldogs Projected Rank: #8 Head coach: Carm Cozza 1995 Ivy Record: 2-5

Outlook: In what will be Cozza's final season, Yale will struggle to win a game. With only seven starters returning and sixteen lost to graduation, the Elis are looking to rebuild, a process which will likely begin next season with a new coach.