VP of South Africa Speaks at IOP

Before 350, Mbeki Discusses Keys to Success of Fledgling Democracy

By Anne C. Krendl

South Africa's executive deputy president told an audience of 350 last night that participation in government and involvement in global affairs is necessary to make South Africa a stable and powerful country.

Thabo Mbeki, who is expected to succeed Nelson Mandela as the president of the African National Congress in December, said participation is the key for democracy.

"It is important that there is the greatest possible national unit because then you are able to produce stable results," Mbeki said. "In the end, I believe this is what guarantees the stability of democracy."

Mbeki said there is a danger, though, in allowing everyone to have a voice in the government.

"There's a price we have to pay for that," he said. "[South Africans] think they know everything about everything and they want to be consulted."

Because of this, decisions which could be made quickly tend to take a long time, he said.

Mbeki also said he does not believe South Africa should become dependent on the "developed world."

"South Africa believes that all relations should be based on a principle of reciprocity," he said.

To create a more stable nation without relying on the developing world, Mbeki said he has two objectives.

First, it is necessary "to promote a common regional trade strategy" which would involve redirecting regional resources to combat poverty.

The second objective, Mbeki said, is "to encourage evolution of a common regional policy," This would create a stronger nation which could integrate with the developing world.

He said that although "new countries can not depend on the developing world," the two country types should form a partnership.

Mbeki concluded his speech by stating his hope that the Olympic Games of 2004 come to South Africa where they will not be seen as the "South African Olympics" and the "African Olympics."

Members of the audience included Angelica Zander Rudenstine and Ethel Kennedy, wife of the late Robert F. Kennedy '48.

The speech, sponsored by the Institute of Politics, was part of the Gustav Pollak Lecture series, which began 40 years ago to address issues in creating and maintaining governments.