Harvard's Custodial Workers Union Approves Contract

By Jay S. Kimmelman

Harvard's union of custodial workers, Local 254, in two meetings yesterday approved a new three-year contract which many employees said they had not seen in its entirety.

According to several workers, union members were given only 45 minutes to read and discuss a four-page summary of the pact which was provided before the group was forced out of Science Center B by a Harvard class.

Some workers said yesterday they plan to bring a grievance against the union before the National Labor Relations Board, claiming the union did not represent in good faith.

The new contract is intended to bring the cost of Harvard's custodial workers in line with market prices, according to Timothy R. Manning, director of labor relations.

Many of the full-time workers yesterday said they were not well-represented by the union in the bargaining process, had little input in the negotiations and were not sufficiently informed about the deal prior to the vote.

"Our union doesn't care about the interests of Harvard employees," said Ray Clarke, a worker in Yard operations and a shop steward for the union.

Yesterday's vote was taken in two meetings, for the day shift and the night shift, both of which lasted about one hour. The meetings were headed by Local 254's business manager, Cathy Conway.

The deal inked last night freezes wages for the first 20 months of this three-year contract. Negotiations for salary increases may begin only after July 1, 1998. The agreement also reduces vacation time and decreases sick pay, but allows employees to take advantage of a short-term disability plan, Manning said.

"Part of the strategy here was to try to preserve as many jobs as we can and treat people fairly as an alternative to hiring outside people," he said.

Individual schools or departments within the University may purchase custodial services from Harvard's Facilities Maintenance Operations, represented by Local 254, or from outside contractors. In the last several years, many have chosen to hire outside companies.

Although wages of current employees will remain the same, new employees will be working for significantly lower wages under the agreement, Clarke said.

"Dorm crew workers will make more than new full-time custodians," he said.

The new contract does provide more benefits to part-time than did previous contracts. It allows part-time employees to receive their full vacation and holiday pay during times of seri- ous illness and provides greater job protection by considering part-time workers for openings in various departments, according to Manning.

Job security for all custodial workers is also improved by this pact, Manning said. If an outside contractor is hired by a Harvard department, the Harvard custodial workers who would be affected by the loss of a contract will be given priority for jobs both within Harvard and with the outside contractor.

Controversial Process

Unlike previous contract negotiations, most of the shop stewards and crew chiefs were not involved in the bargaining process, Clarke said.

Other workers who spoke on condition of anonymity said they were never informed that there was a negotiating team and that negotiations were underway.

The union members also expressed dissatisfaction with how the contract was explained to them.

Employees said Conway concentrated on the improvements for part-time workers and brushed over some of the effects and benefit cuts for full-time workers.

"She didn't explain the whole contract to us," said one worker who refused to vote on the basis that he was not well enough informed to make an educated decision.

"She slipped it by us," said another employee.

But many of the workers were so glad to receive a three-year deal that they didn't mind being kept in the dark about some of the details of the contract, Clarke said.

According to one worker, the entire contract was to be made available after the votes were tabulated last night.

Conway refused to comment after the vote last night. The exact vote count was unavailable.

In addition to representing Harvard's Facilities Maintenance workers, Local 254 also represents employees of UNICCO, an outside contractor that was hired this fall to clean many of the undergraduate houses before move-in.

Some workers last night said UNICCO membership in the union constitutes a conflict of interest for Local 254 negotiators

Controversial Process