School of Public Health to Dedicate Building

By Kelly M. Yamanouchi

The Harvard School of Public Health (SPH) will dedicate a new building next week, in memory of a Swiss rescue pilot, Francois-Xavier Bagnoud. The building will serve as the school's Center for Health and Human Rights.

The October 2 dedication will be attended by President Neil L. Rudenstine, SPH Dean Harvey V. Fineberg '67 and Bagnoud's mother, the Countess Albina du Boisrouvray, who established the foundation that donated $20 million to construct the building.

"Francois was committed to rescue and compassion for people. He had the unique ability to touch people," said Alan Kasha, Bagnoud's college roommate who now chairs the Francois-Xavier Bagnoud United States Foundation. "He was the kind of person that you met once and remembered."

Bagnoud, who died at age 24 in a helicopter accident, planned to attend Harvard Business School after earning a degree in aerospace at the University of Michigan.

Kasha said the new building at 651 Huntington Ave. will continue Bagnoud's "joyful spirit of self-giving and loving care for others."

"[The Francois-Xavier Bagnoud] building will allow the school to realize their mission in public health through cutting-edge facilities," Kasha said.

Researchers in the building plan to investigate potential vaccines against HIV, evaluate AIDS treatment drugs and research possible causes of cancer, according to a statement.

Three classrooms in the building--where seminars and continuing education courses will be held--will be equipped with advanced communications technology including video cameras, a VCR facility and microphones installed in the ceilings and floors.

The building will also provide to students and faculty members a library study facility.

Du Boisrouvray is a leading human rights activist who has mobilized support for programs in direct care and prevention of pediatric AIDS and other deadly viruses.

"Du Boisrouvray decided to start the Francois-Xavier Bagnoud Foundation at the time when the AIDS epidemic burst on the world scene," said Don Casey of the Association Francois-Xavier Bagnoud (AFXB). The Foundation, which is based on the idea that health is a basic human right, provides homes to provide care to children with AIDS.

Du Boisrouvray's gift also provides for the Bagnoud professor of health and human rights. Jonathan Mann is the first person to hold that chair