Firecracker Blast Triggers Alarms

By Joshua J. Schanker

A suspected firecracker explosion originating in the Peabody Terrace Garage set off car alarms and frightened residents in the area Tuesday night, according to witnesses on the scene.

A loud noise occurred at 9:26 p.m. and caused several people in the vicinity to call police. The police currently believe the sound was caused by a firecracker launched inside the buiding.

"When I first heard it, I thought it was a gas explosion," said Allied Security Sgt. Russell A. Clewley, who was patrolling the area at the time of the incident.

But after running towards the garage Clewley said that he realized that it wasn't gas related because there was "no car explosion, no fire, no nothing."

"I could smell gun powder [and] I could see smoke," which indicated that it was most likely a firecracker, Clewley said.

Police who inspected the building after the explosion said they found no damage or signs of residue from the explosion. According to Clewley, this suggested that if it was a firecracker, it was exploded mid-air.

Despite the evidence, witnesses on the scene were skeptical of Clewley's conclusions.

"It would have had to be a really big firecracker," said Andre Koopman, a resident of Peabody Terrace.

Clewley agreed the explosion sounded threatening. "That sucker was loud," the guard said. "It must have been a M-100 or larger firecracker."

At the time of the explosion there were no official suspects, but residents showed concern about the safety of the garage.

"There's been a lot of theievery around the place," said one resident.

According to police, no one was injured in the explosion.