In Death's Wake, Students Puzzled By Tragic Loss

By Carlos A. Monje jr., CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are stumbling to find a moral to the story of Scott Krueger's death.

The 18-year-old MIT first-year died at 6:40 p.m. Monday after a three-day alcohol-induced coma. The Boston Police Department is conducting a criminal investigation to sort through the hazy details surrounding Krueger's death.

Last Friday night Krueger drank enough alcohol for his blood-alcohol level to reach .410-more than five times the legal driving limit. He had consumed at least 16 drinks at a celebration at the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.

It is not known if Phi Gamma Delta members forced Krueger to drink, but the MIT chapter has been suspended by both the school and the national office, pending investigation. The chapter cannot hold events or induct new members during that time.

In addition, the Boston Licensing Board will hold a public hearing on Oct. 14 to determine if the chapter violated underage-drinking laws. The board could take away the chapter's dormitory license.

MIT's InterFraternity Council--which represents 39 Greek organizations and independent-living groups-is installing a temporary ban on all events involving -*/alcohol until it completes its own investigation. But the voluntry ban may last as little as two weeks, and drinking continues in private, a fraternity member who wished to remain anonymous said.

At Harvard, students and faculty reacted in shock to the death. Krueger's cousin, William W. Burke-White, is a senior at Harvard.

"Right now people are in shock. How long that's going to last-a couple of days, a couple of weeks, a couple of months? I don't know," said Eugene C. McAfee, the Lowell House senior tutor.

Alison Seanor '98 said that Krueger's death scared people.

"Are people going to stop drinking? No. But will they hesitate before taking that last shot? Maybe," Seanor said.

In the aftermath of Krueger's death, members of the Harvard community are questioning who is to blame and what can be learned from the incident.

"We reiterate our warning about the abuse of alcohol and underage drinking," Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said in a statement.

"In particular, we remind the officers of the final clubs that they must obey the law," Epps added.

Shondin Ghosh '01 criticized the Greek system.

"Frats are basically an excuse for getting fall-over drunk," Ghosh said.

But Ethan G. Drogin '98, president of Harvard's Sigma Chi chapter and a Crimson executive, defended fraternities.

"Any time [a death occurs] it reinforces negative stereotypes of fraternities," Drogin said. "It affects how the student body and administration view us."

"I can't speak about other groups on campus, but our fraternity does not force people to drink," Drogin added.

At Harvard, students and members of the administration saw Krueger's death as a warning to drinkers in general.

"I hope this tragic incident makes people think about their own behavior," said Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68.

The Administration officially responded to the incident by reiterating its policy against underage drinking.

"I think everybody's going to tighten up," Epps said.

McAfee said administrators have little power to stop underage drinking.

"I don't think policy can get to this problem," McAfee said.

The incident was discussed at yesterday's meeting of the Administrative Board, according to McAfee.

"It forces us to look at what we're telling our students in our policies," McAfee said.

"I would welcome hearing ideas from students about how we might ensure that a tragedy like this will not occur at Harvard," Lewis said.

"You can't blame it on the frats. A guy has to take personal responsibility for himself," added David S. Schultz '01, who said he does not drink.

Funeral Service Scheduled

After Krueger lost consciousness he was carried to a basement room. At an undetermined time later, another reveler called MIT police for help. When authorities arrived at 12:12 a.m. they found empty liquor bottles and fresh vomit on the floor surrounding Krueger's body.

Yesterday, the deceased's family returned to their home in Orchard Park, N. Y. A memorial service will be held this weekend; according to Burke-White, Krueger's cousin.

"If Scott's death is to mean anything, we need to look at ourselves and at the system that let it happen," Burke-White said

Funeral Service Scheduled