Firms, Study Abroad Vie for Students at Fair

By Rachel A. Farbiarz, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

More than 1,700 students attended the 16th annual Career Forum sponsored by Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) and the Office of Career Services (OCS) at the Gordon Track and Field Center last Friday.

Recruiting Coordinator in OCS Judith Murray said the event was "absolutely successful" because this year the Forum hosted "more companies and more opportunities" than ever before.

The event provided students with opportunities to informally meet with representatives from 126 career-oriented organizations and 25 study abroad programs, according to Murray.

Consulting, banking and software development firms represented the majority of the companies.

Some representatives from government, advertising, law, public service, publishing and teaching also presented students with opportunities in their fields.

Murray attributed the high attendance rate at the day-long forum to panel discussions and speakers from last week's Career Week, which she said generated student interest in the subject.

Many students said they appreciated the opportunity to both obtain information about companies and to make connections with representatives from specific firms.

"I came to find out about different companies and opportunities, and I got what I wanted from it," said Michael S. Campbell '98.

Michael S. Seid '99 said that walking through the Forum was "more an experience in self-definition" than anything else.

"I might be interested in [investment] banking, but I don't know anything about it because I'm a Classics major from L.A.--I'm here to find out about it," he added.

Some students said they were attracted to the Forum by many of the promotional gifts handed out by firms.

Free gifts ranged from Pop-Tarts and apples from the Leo-Burnett Advertising Firm to Mickey Mouse-shaped pencils from the Walt Disney Corporation. Other firms such as Trilogy gave out day books and t-shirts.

Emerging from the stream of students throwing soft footballs and exam- ining their new J.P. Morgan pens, Campbell admitted that he appreciated getting a "new bubble pen" as well as learning about new career opportunities.

Yet, some students said they were disappointed with the Forum's emphasis on financial and computer-oriented firms.

"There was only one publishing firm here, and they left early," said Scott Rothkopf '99, a Crimson editor.

Jason M. Baskin '00, said he was also "a bit disappointed" at the lack of publishing opportunities, but said he "had fun getting free squishy toys and pens."

Some recruiters also said they were frustrated by the strong investment banking and consulting presence at the Career Forum.

Sue Rodberg, a representative from the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, said that many students dismissed the Federal Reserve Bank because of the more corporate options, and that the Reserve had "a lot of competition from consulting firms."

Jon Headly, who graduated from the Business School and returned last Friday to represent the Walt Disney Corporation, said reception to his presentations "has been great."

Susan M. Shah, a representative from the Institute for the International Education of Students, said travel abroad programs also generated a positive response.

"Although a lot of students are much more focused on careers than on studying abroad...[the] reception has [still] been good," she said