Rally for Affirmative Action Nationwide

Letters

On Oct. 27, Jesse Jackson is calling a march in Sacramento, Calif. to rally forces in defense of Affirmative Action. This march will take place at a time when the Supreme Court is deciding whether or not to rule on the constitutionality of that state's Proposition 209. In addition, University of California Berkeley students are organizing during this month to force the U.C. Regents to rescind their decision to eliminate Affirmative Action from undergraduate admissions.

Affirmative Action is under attack nationally, and we must build a national movement to defend it, and to fight for real equality and democracy. We call on you, all student organizations; black, Latino and other minority organizations; anti-racist groups and activists; women's rights groups, lesbian/gay organizations; and all others who are for the defense of affirmative action to organize marches and demonstrations as part of a national day of action. Please contact the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action. By Any Means Necessary (BAMN) at bamn@umich.edu or call (313)730-3577. --Jessica Curtin, BAMN member, University of Michigan senior