World-Class Winthrop Triathlete Keeps It on the Down Low

*Junior trains for Olympics amidst relative obscurity

By Joshua R. Carter, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Ever heard of Russ Hancock?

No? Didn't think so.

Not many students have heard of this Winthrop House junior who may just be one of the best athletes on Harvard's campus.

Don't feel too bad if you were out of the loop. Hancock is one of the premier young triathletes in America and because he does not compete for any Harvard teams he has managed to go virtually unnoticed on campus.

"He is very humble and downplays his achievements," explains his roommate Greg Curvall.

Hancock attended high school in Old Lyme, Connecticut, where soccer and track were his sports of choice. His life was to take new direction in 1993 when a close friend introduced him to bicycle racing.

Although bicycle racing alone didn't thrill this explosive young athlete, it would be instrumental in guiding him to his future passion.

Later that year, Hancock read about a local triathlon--swimming, biking and running--in the newspaper. With little swimming experience but an adventurous spirit, he decided to enter the competition. After only a couple hours of preparation in the pool, he showcased his raw talent by taking first place in the race.

After this unexpected victory, Hancock became enthused with the sport.

"I got more serious every time I did it," he said.

This, the first of many competitions to follow, was classified as a sprint triathlon because of the shorter distances covered. But don't let the name fool you--this demanding event is much more than most people could handle.

The "sprint" triathlon requires only a quarter-mile swim, eight-mile bike ride, and a three-mile run. The "sprint" took Hancock only 40 minutes of continuous high intensity exercise to complete.

Shortly after his first success, Hancock began training for competition in full triathlons. Arguably the most grueling of all competitions, the triathlon combines a one-mile swim, a 26-mile bike ride, and a six-mile run.

Hancock describes the first two miles of running as "the most painful" part of the race. This is due to the change of muscle groups required in the legs during the transition from biking to running.

Amazingly, in only his second year of competition, Hancock entered the world's largest annual triathlon held in Chicago, with more than 5000 entrants and proved himself to be one of the best performers in the country for his age.

"I couldn't believe it," Hancock commented on the sheer number of people competing. "After the swim, I had to run half of a mile to just to get through all of the people to my bike."

Despite the intimidating numbers, he placed 12th overall in his age bracket. Out of the New England participants he ranked second.

Hancock also found that his skill in biking and running provided him an excellent advantage in another variation of the "iron-man" sport--the duathlon.

In this event, running and biking exclusively, Hancock qualified for the national team. In a world class race held in Italy, he placed 36th in the world and was the third U.S. finisher--an impressive performance to say the least.

After such strong showings, Hancock was invited to spend last spring in Colorado to test how far his talent could take him.

"It was really gratifying racing against some of the best in the world," said Hancock. "They really give you a lot of respect."

Training in Colorado, he managed to qualify as the first alternate for the U.S. Olympic training team.

As the fourth place qualifier, Hancock could be called on to train with the team in San Diego full time.

The opportunity certainly would be flattering, he admits, but he feels it most advantageous to be back at Harvard continuing in his academic pursuits.

As an economics concentrator, a career in business could be a possible occupation, but after graduation he envisions committing himself to the sport for at least a couple of years.

Hancock surprisingly calls himself "laid back," but humbly admits that his competitiveness drives him to success in this demanding sport.

"If you can see him...you know you can catch the guy in front of you," he said. "Or, if you are in front, the worst thing in the world is to get caught."

In the year 2000, the triathlon will become an official gold medal sport. Don't be surprised to find yourself cheering on Russ Hancock as he swims, pedals and runs the U.S.A. to gold.