'Evening' Draws Packed Audiences

* Controversy surrounds censorship of whipping scene

By Sadie H. Sanchez, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Bright Hockey Center played host this weekend to some of the biggest names in ice skating as part of the annual Eliot House spectacular, "An Evening With Champions."

The proceeds of the three packed performances--which drew about 8,000 people--will go to benefit the Jimmy Fund, a supporter of the DanaFarber Cancer Institute.

A. Maggie Pisacane '98, a co-chair of the event, said that although the amount of money raised has not yet been tabulated, organizers were pleased with the event's success. A $60,000 bequest coupled with the proceeds from ticket sales, sponsorship, donations, advertising, silent auction and merchandise could result in a record-breaking year.

"We appreciate all the time and hard work that the skaters put into supporting the Jimmy Fund," Pisacane said.

The event was hosted by Paul S. Wylie '90 and featured many well-known skaters such as Olympic gold medalist Oksana Baiul.

However, a skating pair also caused some controversy this year when they chose to act out a Mongolian tale in which a khan wields a whip while chasing his concubine.

Natalia Mishkutionok, a 1992 Olympic gold medalist, and Craig Shepard altered their routine by removing the prop for later performances after an objection by one of the event's sponsors.

But some of the organizers of the event said the skaters should not have been told to change their routine.

"Any censorship of the artistry of their performances would compromise the integrity of the show," Pisacane said.

Sponsor Mary Godwyn said that during the performance "he was beating her with the whip while she begs for mercy."

She said she and her husband, Chris A. Rich '84, promptly left with their children, 11 and 8 years old.

"We left the performance because of the really out-of-nowhere violent routine," Godwyn said.

She said she found their routine to be completely inappropriate for a benefit show that aims at helping children, particularly following two murders of women in the Boston area.

Godwyn called the National Organization of Women (NOW) and met with the co-chairs of the show, Pisacane and Kurt D. Christensen '98 as well as the skaters.

Godwyn had assumed that the pair was going to perform a different routine or perhaps give a disclaimer to their routine the next night. The routine was altered so that the whip was omitted, although the pair still included a portrayal of some physical abuse in their routine.

Godwyn said that the couple could have chosen a less offensive performance and that she felt "quite purposefully deceived" by the organizers of the event.

But some students who attended the event said they did not think the performance was blatantly offensive.

"I was not personally offended, but I didn't like it," said Marine Alexis Friedman '99, who attended the Friday night show. "It was a bit demeaning."

Friedman also said she would not have wanted young children to see the performance.

Erin M. Bush '98, who attended the Friday night show, emphasized the positive nature of the event overall.

"It's a shame to dwell on the negative," she said. "No one intended anything bad to happen at all."

Reynolds said she did not find their routine provocative.

Shepard said he and Mishkutionok were not at all offended when they were asked to remove the whip from the routine.

"It didn't bother us that we had to change [the routine] if it's what the people of the show wanted, but there was no way we were trying to endorse the beating of women," he said.

"We're actors, out on the ice, and we were just acting. That's all we were doing. If anybody was offended we apologize for that because that wasn't our intention," Shepard said.

Many of the performers, including Shepard and Mishkutionok were premiering programs that are to be used in upcoming competitions.

Surya Bonaly executed her signature backflip with a flair, a one foot landing that host Wylie said no other skater performs.

Baiul said she wanted to make her Saturday night performance "perfect" after falling after a jump. She redid the jump three more times until she landed solidly.

Other entertainers included Princeton graduate Katherine Healy and Boston University student Karen Kwan.

An Evening With Champions is only known to the public as a weekend event, but to the students of Eliot House it is a year-long process.

The co-chairs are usually chosen at the end of January. They then pick the executive board who work with sub-committees throughout the summer to make the event a success.

The event, which was founded by John Misha Petkevich '71, has raised more than $1.7 million dollars throughout its 28-year history.

Suzanne C. Lye '98, the event's executive manager, said there are "many weeks of hard work and sleepless nights" to put the show together.

Lye also said that An Evening With Champions is one of the biggest fund raisers each year for the Jimmy Fund, which is celebrating its fiftieth anniversary this year.

Tonia Kwaitkowski, one of the participants and a 1996 Silver medalist in the U.S. National Championships said, "It is really exciting to be part of something that helps so many other people."

The taped version of Saturday night's show will be shown on PBS this spring.

"I think the show was wonderful this year. It was a great experience," Pisacane said