Women's Volleyball Sweeps Dartmouth, Holy Cross and Central Conn.

* Crimson battles by Ivy foe in three straight games

By Kelly M. Gushue, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Harvard's perfect Ivy record was on the line against Dartmouth. Friday at home at the MAC, the Crimson showed the Big Green why it had been undefeated with a 3-0 shutout victory.

Harvard's powerful offense dominated the court the entire game.

"The team did a great job of controlling the play of the match," said Coach Jen Bates. "And that was the goal of the game."

In the first game, Dartmouth appeared to be a threat going point for point against Harvard. Dartmouth had the lead at 6-5 until sophomore Linda Jellison--last week's Ivy League and Coop Player of the Week--stepped up with a kill to shift the momentum to Harvard's side.

Harvard then built up its lead to 10-6 and didn't give Dartmouth a chance to catch up.

"I was surprised we won in three games," said junior Melissa Forcum. "I thought it would be a grudge match."

At the end of the first game, Dartmouth was limited to just three more points. Forcum ended the first game with an ace allowing Harvard to win 15-9.

In the second match, the Crimson continued to display an aggressive offense and defense. Forcum opened the game with a kill down the middle of the court.

After Harvard took a 5-2 lead, however, Dartmouth took advantage of sideouts and evened the score at 6-6.

After a block by senior captain Elissa Hart and Jellison, Harvard regained control of the ball and increased its lead to 10-7. Dartmouth, however, posed a threat by coming within one point at 10-9. An ace by Elissa Hart followed by a kill by Forcum solidified the lead at 14-9.

Elissa Hart, the Ivy League's attack leader, closed the match with a kill to end the game with Harvard winning 15-11.

"We came into the game fired up. We came in ready, more prepared," Jellison said. "We came into the game with specific team goals and we accomplished them."

In the third game, Dartmouth seemed to give in to Harvard's indomitable offense as the Crimson took a 5-0 lead and didn't look back.

Solid serving and immense offense rallied Harvard to a quick 7-1 lead. Dartmouth was able to decrease the lead to 7-5 but freshman Julie Yic's consistent serving, along with kills by Jellison and Elissa Hart, brought Harvard's lead to 10-5. Harvard went on to win the game on a forceful note with a kill down the middle by freshman middle Katherine Hart.

"[Junior] Kate Nash did a great job diversifying the offense," Bates said. "The team has great chemistry."

Nash used a number of offensive devices to maximize offense while Jellison led the game in spiking with 13 kills from the left, right and middle positions.

Junior Melissa Forcum followed closely with 11 kills, Elissa Hart with 10 and freshman Angela Lutich with eight