CRUNCH TIME

ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

By Rebecca A. Blaeser

She's been one of the focal points of the offense throughout her entire career, but this year the pressure has been even more intense for junior striker Naomi Miller.

With the loss of Emily Stauffer--last year's leading scorer--Miller has taken charge and asserted herself as one of the best forwards in the Ivy League.

And there is no better example of her fortitude than this past weekend's stellar performance against Ivy-foe Princeton.

After a frustrating first half of the season, the Crimson has just recently begun to show signs of resurrection. A key victory over Cornell--where Miller scored a goal and assisted on the game winner--lifted Harvard's record over the .500 mark.

That set the stage for a crucial matchup against the Tigers. A loss would have perhaps ended the Crimson's hopes for an Ivy title and a free berth into the NCAA Tournament.

With the season on the line, Miller answered the call with a vengeance.

In undoubtably its best game of the season, Harvard annihilated Princeton 6-1 behind a two-goal performance by the San Antonio native.

She struck net twice in the first half and also added an assist to Ashley Berman just three minutes into the contest.

Miller now leads the Ivies in both overall (21) and league (13) points and has catalyzed a Harvard rebirth.

With this victory, Harvard has captured the top spot in the league and will face Dartmouth on Saturday afternoon.

There is no question that this game will determine the future of the team, and there is no doubt who will get the call to step up and take command.

Miller has proven that she is ready and willing for the call.