Me and My Monarch

THEATER THE KING AND 1 At the Wang Center Through Oct. 12

By Kamil E. Redmond, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

From the first view of the elaborately decorated set to the final glimpse of the jeweled costumes, The King and I at the Wang is an absolute treat for the eyes. Director Christopher Renshaw and scenic designer Brian Thompson use many beautiful details to create Thailand in the 1860s, including 14 30-foot tall bejeweled golden elephants, exquisite replications of Thai furniture and red and gold attired servants in traditional gold Thai headdresses. The muted crimson and violet lighting and the goldtiled altars and thrones add perfectly to the overall effect of opulent elegance. One could easily sit for two hours just watching the grandeur on the stage without noticing any of the actors.

Unfortunately, once Hayley Mills begins to sing "Getting to Know You," the effect is lost. Mills plays the main character, Anna Leonowens, a widowed teacher who is brought to Bangkok by the King of Siam (Vee Talmadge), to educate the royal children (a group of adorable new talents ranging in ages from six to 12).

From the beginning, Anna and the King appear to disagree over everything, from the social position of women in Siam, a position that Anna likens to slavery (a theme further developed in the musical) to the roval tradition of bowing before the King. Anna stomps about in righteous anger while the King barks his royal orders until by the end of the musical they finally,predictably, fall in love.

One of the main problems with this musical is that Mills and Talmadge are not really all that convincing. Mills is adequate as the modernized English governess intent upon changing the antiquated Siamese social customs. Talmadge does an even better job as the patriarchal King whose rules have been unquestioned before this presumptuous woman sets foot in his castle. However, there is no spark of interest in the relationship between the two characters; in fact, if one didn't know the story, one would never guess that these two would fall in love. Mills flounces around in her crinolines criticizing the King, but never comes close to revealing any kind of attraction. The bewilderment persists as the King comments on Anna's gowns-Wait, maybe he is trying to put the moves on her-but nothing in Talmadge's face or demeanor comes close to demonstrating this. There is absolutely no buildup from their initial suspicion and dislike of one another to the King's basically groping Anna during a final dance sequence.

Some of the best acting and singing come from the supporting cast. Luzviminda Lor easily outshines both Mills and Talmadge as Tuptim, a young slave in love with another but sent against her will to serve the King of Siam. Tuptim's story is part of a larger social commentary on the effects of slavery, both physical and psychological, brilliantly illustrated in one of the best scenes in the musical- "The Small House of Uncle Thomas," a gorgeous Asian version of Uncle Tom's Cabin which features masterfully executed choreography, beautiful dancers and stunning costumes. Tuptim reveals her own indignation at being enslaved and watching the man she loves sent away, while Talmadge successfully conveys the discomfort and frustration of the King. Unlike his interaction with Anna, the King's relationship with Tuptim is rife with tension and expectation.

Overall, the musical is worth seeing, but only for the matinee price. The singing by both Mills and Talmadge is weak and unclear, leaving one constantly straining to hear them. Those who loved Mills in Pollyanna and The Parent Trap will be very disappointed with her voice. Everyone knows the songs and can sing along, but it would have been great to hear one of these characters, preferably the King, really belt one out. Worse still, sexism, classicism and European elitism (the three evil isms) abound in this musical: the fact that European culture is valued over Asian culture, the main reason for Anna's presence in Siam, is continually reinforced. But the royal kids are cute, the costume and set design are amazing and the Rodgers and Hammerstein score is enough to shell out the bucks and enjoy the show.