HUPD Catches Hollis Shower Intruder

By Jenny E. Heller, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

An undergraduate student yesterday spotted on a bench in Cambridge Common the intruder who was found naked about a week ago in the Hollis Hall showers.

The student, whose identity the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) would not reveal, reportedly recognized the man from his description in The Crimson and immediately called the Criminal Investigation Unit of the HUPD.

Two detectives responded to the call. They approached the suspect, who spoke to them without a struggle.

"He was very cooperative and somewhat docile," said Peggy A. McNamara, spokesperson for the HUPD. "Based on the [subsequent] interview with the detectives it was determined that he was in fact the male in Hollis Hall."

McNamara described the man as "a 21-year-old from the state of New York who is currently homeless."

Following the conversation, the HUPD notified the first-year female who had originally found the man in the bathroom.

"The police were so great. They called me all the time to make sure I wasn't worried," said the student, who requested anonymity.

According to McNamara, entering a dormitory without authorization is a misdemeanor, but the two detectives decided not to prosecute the man due to extenuating circumstances.

"The detectives [based their decision not to prosecute] on the fact that no one saw how he got into the building...and on information that he has some problems that he is dealing with," McNamara said.

McNamara said that she believes that Harvard students should not feel threatened by the incident.

"There is no threat of violence or physical harm to anyone on campus," McNamara said. "He was not there in a criminal manner....He was just there to clean."

According to McNamara, the man understood that his trespassing was wrong and apologized to the detectives.

"He has promised that he will never go near Harvard University again," McNamara said.

But several of the Hollis students interviewed said that they were concerned that the HUPD did not prosecute the man. The students said that they do not feel any more secure now than before the police spoke with the homeless man.

"I think there should have been some action taken since he was trespassing," Mark C. Bussey '01 said.

Richie R. Williams '01 also said he disagreed with the HUPD's decision.

"I think it shows an overall ambivalence towards security on campus, and getting some verbal promise from someone is not going to change anything," he said.

Other students in Hollis North expressed sympathy for the man and reported that they did not feel threatened by him.

"He should not necessarily be prosecuted. I do have an element of sympathy toward him...at least he's trying to take a step toward hygiene," said Sandra L. Guzman '01.

The HUPD contacted the homeless man's parents in New York, but they refused to speak to them. McNamara said his parents might travel to Boston to visit him. The HUPD does not know how long the man has been away from home.

The Hollis resident who first discovered the homeless man said that police told her the man was planning to return to New York.

The student said she was surprised to see him at the Tasty at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday night. She said he obviously recognized her.

"It was scary," she said. "He stared at me for 20 minutes. Finally I left. He didn't follow me."

Williams said he encountered the man holding a plastic bag in front of Urban Outfitters on Saturday.

McNamara said the HUPD is now unaware of the man's whereabouts.

Students in Hollis said they are concerned about how the man entered the building.

"The police should have questioned him about how he got in," Guzman said.

The Freshmen Dean's Office and the HUPD are working together to prevent incidents like this one from occurring in the future, said Elizabeth S. Nathans, dean of Freshmen, in an e-mail.

"Regrettably there are often instances of both trespass and theft at the start of each academic year," she wrote yesterday.

According to Guzman, students in Hollis try not to become preoccupied with the seriousness of the intrusion