Increase in Shuttles Promotes Safety

Thanks to the increased shuttle bus service, it is now easier and safer for students to get around campus. Shuttle buses connecting the Quad, the Yard and the River run until 5 a.m. on weekends, and afternoon buses now take students from the Science Center to River houses on weekdays.

Students have expressed gratitude that they can now catch the shuttle bus after late-night parties or hop on the shuttle for a quick ride home to retrieve a forgotten paper or textbook for section.

Jobe D. Danganan '99, the Undergraduate Council member who headed the shuttle bus task force last spring, said the Administration finally agreed to provide more frequent shuttle service for the River this fall after council members and Mather residents e-mailed their complaints to Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 and Associate Dean of the College Thomas A. Dingman '67 last spring.

Some students say the shuttle service has already increased attendance at Science Center Core classes and afternoon sections.

When it begins snowing, more students will probably take advantage of the increased shuttle-bus service to avoid inclement weather. And with bikes banned in the Yard and a paucity of bike racks in front of buildings like the Barker Center, the shuttle bus is becoming an increasingly attractive option. To cope with increased demands, the University has purchased a new shuttle bus small enough to navigate Cambridge's narrow thorough fares but large enough to accommodate the expected increase in student commuters.

Praise must go to the Undergraduate Council for its hard work and to Deans Lewis and Dingman for their approval and support.