Options for Getting to The Game

By David S. Stolzar, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Many students heading to Saturday's Harvard-Yale football game will travel to New Haven and back for the bargain price of $20, thanks to the work of the Undergraduate Council.

The council sold 800 round-trip tickets for the trip, according to Sam C. Cohen '00, the services co-chair of the council's Campus Life Committee. Demand for the tickets was so strong that "we decided to add on one more bus. That one sold out...about two days ago," Cohen said.

Buses will leave Harvard at 12:45, 1:45, and 6 p.m. on Friday and at 8 and 10 a.m. on Saturday. Students can leave New Haven on Saturday night or at noon on Sunday.

For those not quick enough to get tickets on the council's buses, alternatives include taking a Peter Pan Bus or an Amtrak train.

However, Cohen is still receiving phone calls and e-mail messages from students looking for seats.

"We needed to get numbers in to the bus company by a certain date, so we weren't able to hold it open longer and make more seats available," he explained.

The Undergraduate Council posted sign-up lists on its office door for students who have tickets they don't plan to use. Students who are seeking tickets can also leave their names, or check the list for potential sellers.

Among possible alternatives, The Peter Pan Bus Company makes regular runs from Boston to New Haven. The trips take three to four hours, and the round-trip cost to students is $27.95.

Amtrak runs trains from South Station to New Haven that leave at 6:10 and 8 p.m. on Friday, and on Saturday morning at 6:25 (reservation-only), 7:20, and 9:05 (reservation-only). Trains return to Boston at various times Saturday night and Sunday. The total cost for the two-and-a-half to three-hour trip ranges from $64 to $75. Amtrak offers a 15 percent discount to Student Advantage cardholders.