A Retro-Biker Speaks

FOR THE MOMENT

Anders Hedberg '98, Vespa owner.

When and where did you get your scooter?

The scooter I own was given to me by a friend of mine, about four years ago, who was returning to Europe and could not afford shipping costs. It is a 1978 Vespa Piaggio, 100cc motor, Evergreen in colour, on which I have never had an accident and for which, as far as I can tell, I have never received shit (the odd envious snigger aside).

Have you ever had any problems with the scooter?

The only real problem I have encountered was that about three weeks ago it was stolen in broad daylight from outside the Carpenter Center, only to be found a week later outside the YMCA in Cambridge, smashed, scratched and in desperate need of repair. Who had stolen it I don't know, but their motive seems to have been driven by little else other than wreckless joyriding and violence.

Why the scooter?

Well, as it was a present, given to me by a close friend, I vowed to take good care of it. This kind of bike is no longer made and parts are rare, but given the opportunity I enjoy taking it apart and fixing it up, putting it back together again. It is also an extremely convenient way of getting around (no more parking problems), save when snow lies on the ground, and has provided a great deal of wonderful Sunday afternoons spent cruising the city, either alone or with a passenger behind me.