Galluccio, Sullivan Plan Campaigns for Local Offices

By Michael E. Thakur, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Although the 1997 elections ended just three weeks ago, reelected City Councillors Michael A. Sullivan and Anthony D. Galluccio already have visions of future campaigns for higher office dancing in their heads.

Sullivan said in an interview Monday that he will run for Middlesex Country district attorney and Galluccio said Monday that he is contemplating a run for Massachusetts state representative in next year's election.

Sullivan will vie for the district attorney's post, which currently is occupied by District Attorney Thomas F. Reilly. Reilly is leaving to run for state attorney general, as state Attorney General L. Scott Harshbarger '64 leaves that office to run for governor.

Coming from a high-profile political family in Cambridge, Sullivan is the son of Walter Sullivan, a former Cambridge City Council member and mayor. Sullivan's political experience includes working as the assistant district attorney for Middlesex County from 1986 to 1991 and state assistant attorney general from 1991 to 1994.

"I believe in professionalism and hard work," Sullivan said. "Having tried cases I bring in the administrative side and the financial base as chair of the City Council finance committee.'

Sullivan said prosecutors need to reach out more to the community and especially to address the problems of youth violence. He cited Reilly's Project Alliance, a team-building initiative among school administrators, the district attorney's office, and police officers, along with other people.

Sullivan faces opposition from Tim Flaherty, whose family ties to Cambridge politics are no less prominent than Sullivan's. Flaherty, the current assistant district attorney in Norfolk County, is the son of Charles F. Flaherty Jr., former speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives.

Martha Coakley, the assistant prosecutor in the Louise Woodward trial, and Republicans Lee Johnson and Brad Bailey, are also possible candidates for district attorney.

Galluccio, the top vote-getter in this month's City Council election, would not confirm that he is throwing his hat in the ring but said that if he runs for any position next year it will be for state representative. To win, Galluccio would have to unseat incumbent Rep. Alice K. Wolf (D-Cambridge), who defeated him in a close race for state representative last year by only 90 votes.

Glenn S. Koocher '71, a Cambridge political analyst, described the 1996 showdown between Galluccio and Wolf as a "classic town-versus-gown" election. The race pits Galluccio, "the lunch-pail democrat" against Wolf, "the limousine liberal," quipped Koocher, who hosts a local public-access television show on city politics.

Galluccio said he wants to wait to declare his candidacy until the new mayor is selected by the city councillors, which will take place sometime after they are sworn in on Jan. 5. Galluccio said he hopes he will win the mayoralty, which in Cambridge is symbolic.

If he runs for state representative, Galluccio said, he would retain his seat on the City Council. Another councillor, Democrat Timothy J. Toomey Jr., also is a current state representative, representing Cambridge.

Galluccio said he wishes to focus on the City Council's agenda for now. "We need to continue to increase our support of affordable housing, employment opportunities... and stronger public education," he said.