Top Gun

ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

By Jamal K. Greene

With 5:58 remaining in Sunday's women's basketball game against Mount St. Mary's, Harvard co-captain Allison Feaster stepped to the free throw line. With 1,604 career points to her name, the 5'11 senior forward needed just one basket to tie the school-record point total of Crimson legend Tammy Butler '95.

With the first swoosh, the record was shared. With the second, it was broken.

At the end of the day, Harvard had won the game--the consolation match of the ECAC Holiday Festival at Holy Cross--and Feaster stood at 1,614 career points, in sole possession of first place on the all-time list.

The fact that Harvard did not play its best basketball this weekend was likely foremost in Feaster's mind. But every now and then greatness must be recognized.

Feaster is not only now the Crimson's all-time scoring leader, but her 889 career rebounds places her second to Butler (1,053) on the school's all-time rebounding list, and her 230 steals rank her first in that category.

"[Feaster] amazes me," said Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney-Smith after Feaster poured in 58 points and 25 rebounds in the two weekend games.

Although the All-American's list of accomplishments runs so long that we run the risk of beating a dead horse, this week's Crimson Athlete of the Week award is to say, "Allison, you amaze us too."