Winthrop Thefts Mar Thanksgiving

By Rebecca A. Butcher, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

While many students were away over Thanksgiving break, several items, including a stereo and a laptop computer, were stolen from a suite in Winthrop House C-entry.

The theft occurred between 10 p.m. Wednesday and 6 p.m. Saturday, while the residents were away on vacation.

Amy R. Schoenhals '98, one of the residents of the suite, said she came back from break Saturday evening and noticed that several items in the suite were missing. She called the Harvard Police Department (HUPD), and an officer arrived within 30 minutes of the call.

Schoenhals said the stolen items included her laptop. Her roommates, whom she identified as Arlene J.L. Dijamco '98 and Azucena Verdin '98, also lost property in the incident, Schoenhals said.

There was no sign of forced entry and access to the room was gained in an unknown manner, said HUPD spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara.

George Perry, a Winthrop security officer, said he could not recall any other thefts during the four and a half years he has worked at the house.

The C-entryway suites in Winthrop House are separated from the street by two doors accessible by key cards and are in a different building from the guard's office.

Schoenhals said she believes that a student would have a better chance getting into the room than an outsider.

"Because there's little traffic [during the vacation], it's harder to get into and out of the building" without a key card, she said.

According to Detective Sgt. Richard Mederos of the HUPD, thefts are "more common" during holidays because fewer students are around. "The eyes and ears of the students are not around, and they're helpful to us," he said. The case is currently under investigation, Maderos said.

A full itemization of what was stolen has not been made yet because Verdin is still away on vacation, Schoenhals said.