E-Mail Updates Students on Clubs

Dean's Mass Mailing Well-Received

By Joshua H. Simon

The Dean of Students office sent out a mass e-mail yesterday in an effort provide students with updated information about Harvard clubs and organizations.

The letter, which was sent to all undergraduates, included information about a number of organizations' current projects, upcoming events, contact persons and Web page and mailing list addresses.

A total of 23 clubs were mentioned in the letter.

According to the Dean of Students' office, the mass e-mailing was an experimental program in response to several requests by student organizations.

Clubs were asked to submit information to the Dean's office at the start of this semester.

Most students said they thought the mailing was a good way of providing them with information about student-run organizations.

"I was pretty happy they sent it to me," said Esti M. Iturralde '00. "It was a good piece of information."

Representatives from organizations mentioned in the letter said they were excited to be publicized to such a large number of undergraduates.

"It's one more way that Harvard students can find out about extra-curricular activities," said Howard Steyn '97, president of the International Relations Council. "At the very least it raises our campus visibility level."

Eric M. Silberstein '97, a member of the Fresh Pond Enrichment Program, said he thought the e-mail should have been sent out even sooner to help with recruiting.

"I wish it were done earlier in the semester," he said. "It's a great way of reaching those who may have missed your posters."

Eileen P. Harrity '99, a member of the Harvard Irish Cultural Society, said the mailing was especially helpful for some of the lesser-known groups on campus.

"We're a small group and a lot of people don't know about us," she said. "I think it's good publicity."

However, some students objected to the idea of being sent unsolicited e-mails.

David A.J. Winslow '00 said he did not like the idea of receiving too many unwelcome e-mails informing him about student organizations.

"I don't want to get mail from everybody," he said. "[But] as long as it's one message and controlled by the Dean of Students, I think it's a good idea."

David W. Egan '00 said he thought the e-mail was not effective.

"I don't see how it's any different from what we get bombarded with at the beginning of the year," he said.