University Band is Spirit Problem

TO THE EDITORS

In the Feb. 13 Crimson, there was a letter written by Martha Bohm and Dalton Courson in response to a report by Chris McEvoy attributing the lack of school spirit (especially at the Beanpot) to the University Band. I feel Mr. McEvoy couldn't have been more on target with his criticism. After the Beanpot, I considered writing an editorial, speaking to the same issue, but refrained for fear that this is still a serious issue not resolved by the flimsy excuses presented by Ms. Bohm and Mr. Courson.

I was seated at the Beanpot in the second row of the section directly adjacent to the band with my roommate and my father. What we witnessed was not only disheartening but was approaching disrespectful and flagrantly apathetic. The criticism of the band not playing "10,000 Men of Harvard" while a photographer was injured is not valid. However, other criticisms such as the band taking almost the entire second period off for a soda and a nacho break are completely valid.

Admittedly, the Fleet Center is a venue that does not well accommadate a band of such a small size (and weak spirit), although not more than 10 seats away we still had difficulty deciphering the band's mariachi-like tunes and mumbled chants. Criticism spouted from both Harvard and non-Harvard fans, to which the band could have responded in a positive fashion, by focusing its energy on the game. Quite to the contrary, though, it seemed to become almost spiteful, displaying some of the most outrageous behavior I have ever witnessed by any school band. For example, one fellow in the front row put down his instrument and took up a newspaper, reading while the game was being played. Another woman in the middle section of the band put down her instrument and proceeded to work intensely on her knitting, again while the game was in progress. Moreover, just after a goal was scored by B.U., placing Harvard behind 3-1, they decided to perform a song to rally the crowd and "support" our team--the very encouraging and inspirational theme from Mission: Impossible!

Clearly there is a lack of enthusiasm and support from our band. I remember leaving the Fleet Center with my father and my friend, all three of us shaking our heads in disgust and embarrasment, complaining about the obnnvious lack of passion, and even interest, exhibited by the band members. Perhaps next time the much coveted first section seats at the Beanpot which are given to the band could be used more effectively if granted to some exuberant and animated fans. --Thomas Livelli '99