Students Flock to Pfoxy Fete

Pforzheimer Dance Party Raises Funds for Local Charity

By Abby Y. Fung

Approximately 400 students danced the night away at "The Pfoxy," a dance held in the pforzheimer House dining hall on Saturday.

The event raised about $900 for the Hildebrand Family Self-Help Center and $300 for the House Committee.

Dance Co-chair Bertie H. Cheng '98 said the idea to raise money for the center came from a Philips Brooks House program she was involved with last semester.

"We felt that this would be a good cause, [and] we picked this shelter because it serves a lot of families," Cheng said.

The Hildebrand Center is a homeless shelter that houses 34 families, primarily women and children.

Good publicity helped to draw a significant number of first-years, according to Maximilian Gomez-Trochez '00.

"It was about half upperclassmen and half freshmen. There were not too many upperclassmen and not too many freshmen [there]," Gomez-Trochez said.

Attendees praised the dance's variety of music, provided by three different deejays.

"There was very good music, and I think everyone enjoyed themselves," said Tracy E. Northup '99, a member of the Pforzheimer House Committee.

The deejays were: Diallo J. Riddle '97, who played hip-hop music and goes by the stage name of "Djihad;" Ehab J. Goldstein '98, who played house music and goes by "Ehab;" and, Joshua L. Adams '97, who played '80's music and goes by "Schroff."

Students also enjoyed performances by the Crimson Dance Team and Capoeira, casino games and a video projection edited by Harvard-Radcliffe TV (HRTV).

"The input from the house members and other campus groups and the community was pretty amazing," Cheng said.

Northup said that besides raising money, the dance at Pforzheimer might have had another impetus.

"I think they're trying to revamp their pre-med image--trying to get rid of the stereotype," she said.