Coop Exchange On Books Is Low

By Y. SUSAN Choi

Students attempting to sell their books back to the Coop this term found that it wasn't as profitable as they thought.

When Ben W. Hulse '99 tried to sell back his Afro-American Studies 10 books which he estimated to be worth $110, the Coop offered him $14.

"One book wasn't even priced, while others were about $1.50 to $3," said Hulse, who decided not to sell back the books. "I feel utterly ripped off."

Sarah G. Montross '97, who attempted to sell back her Spanish textbooks, was turned off by the low offer that was made. In past years, she said she has received about half price for her used books.

"I really feel that it's not in the best interests of the students [to be offered so little]," she said.

Colin Chen '97, who sold back books for a historical-study Core class, said the low prices were better than nothing.

"I would say that the prices weren't great, but selling books back is an easy way to get rid of books that take up space," he said.

"It's like selling a car back to the dealer," Chen added. "You know that you're going to get ripped off."

Other students said they understood the Coop's position.

"I tried to sell a book last week that was worth $15, but was only offered $1," said Charles C. White '98, who decided against selling the books for his foreign-cultures Core class.

"I was kind of annoyed, but I guess I understand," he said. "The books simply weren't in demand."

Coop General Manager Allan E. Powell said that the Coop has not changed its policy regarding buy-backs, and is not paying less for books this term.

Powell said that the Coop is often unable to dictate prices.

The Coop buys back books being used for the current semester at up to 50 percent off retail prices, he said. However, the Coop also buys books back according to a wholesale guide whose prices are generally lower, because of uncertain demand in the wholesale market.

"It's not a good deal, but the Coop doesn't get great prices from wholesale as well," said Powell.

The short preparation time between the semesters and the smaller number of books used in second-semester classes can also lower wholesale prices and demand, Powell said.

He added that Barnes and Noble's assumption of management of the Coop last fall was not a factor in low buy-back prices for books.

Notwithstanding such explanations, disgruntled students have continued their attempts to sell their books at better prices--sometimes circumventing conventional means.

"I ended up finding a person looking at the books in the Coop who was willing to buy them from me," said Montross.