Council Reviews Manager

Healy Contract Up for Extension

By Joshua A. Katzin

Cambridge City Manager Robert W. Healy got a mostly positive evaluation at a City Council meeting last night, held to evaluate Healy's performance before his two-year contract expires June 30.

Healy's contract, last renewed in 1995, is widely expected to be extended again.

Residents came to voice their opinions of the city manager's work to date, with the majority expressing a positive regard for Healy.

"I don't know why we're talking about only a two-year contract when this is a man who can lead us into the 21st century," said Carol Harper, volunteer chair of the Cambridge Arts Council.

Although most complimented Hualy on his record as city manager, some tempered their praise with criticisms of Healy's management style.

Some residents recommended that Healy should make himself more easily accessible.

"The channels of communication between citizens and [the manager] should be better opened up," said Lisa Burke.

A number of residents also complained about certain effects of the city's economic expansion, which Healy has overseen during this tenure.

Resident Peter Signetti said "there has been uncontrolled development which is destroying our communities."

After hearing residents' remarks, councillors added their own comments regarding Healy's work, giving him a primarily positive evaluation.

Councillor Francis H. Duehay '55 also pointed out that the evaluation process is not restricted to City Council meetings. "We are constantly keeping lists in our heads and on paper of how the city functions," Duehay said.

In addition to last night's meeting, Healy was asked by the council to schedule 30-minute interviews with each of the councillors.

Healy's last contract was approved by a vote of 8 to 1.

If the council decides not to renew his contract, it must inform Healy at least 60 days prior to the contract's expiration