Community BRIEFS

In an interview with The Crimson prior to an event at the Forum yesterday, Michael D. McCurry, White House spokesperson talked briefly about Chelsea Clinton's college plans.

McCurry said that as colleges begin to send out their acceptance letters, the issue has become a hot topic in the White House.

"It's the subject of active discussion amongst the family," McCurry said.

McCurry also denied that the opinions of the President and of the First Lady would have an extraordinary impact upon Ms. Clinton decision.

"In the end, it will be Chelsea who makes the decision," McCurry said.

McCurry also refused to deny wide-spread reports that Ms. Clinton has already been accepted to Harvard's Class of 2001. --Richard M. Burnes

FIRE ON PLYMPTON

Car Engine Catches Fire, No Foul Play Suspected

A silver Toyota Camry burst into flames at about 8 p.m. yesterday on Plympton Street, prompting Cambridge Police to crack the hood and windshield in order to douse the fire with water and foam.

The fire started at the front right tire and eventually engulfed the entire hood before Cambridge Police officers and firefighters arrived on the scene.

One Cambridge Police officer, who asked not to be identified, termed the explosion an electrical fire in the engine.

Lt. Daniel Turner of the Cambridge Fire Department said "the engine compartment was fully involved."

"It's not suspicious at this time," Turner said.

Jeff M. Glickman, a passerby who witnessed the fire, said, "The fire progressed very quickly from a small sparkling light to a blaze."

Turner said the fire department was working in conjunction with Cambridge Police and labeled the incident "under investigation."   Charles G. Kels